The Earth and I – is climate change moving too fast for a new book on climate change?

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/28/the-earth-and-i-is-climate.html

So the premise is that books on climate change are too dated by the time they are published to be effective...

...and this person made their case...

...in a book.

I think the person making that case is Ben Marks, and he's making the case in a blog post on BoingBoing by discussing this particular book.

Geez they added HFC's to the Montreal Protocol on October 15th 2016. Like barely more than a month ago.

If Ben knew anything about publishing he'd know that this book was likely penned at least a year ago.

It's ironic, but it's hardly worth the scolding.

If I was going to piss and moan about every dumb thing said about biology in books I'd be dehydrated and hoarse.

So it is. I got the impression that the book, The Earth and I, was about dated publications rather than this being a review of The Earth and I.

I hadn't seen an honestly critical assessment, instead of a thinly disguised ad, of a product on this site for so long that I got confused.

Critical assessment ends with example of glaring outdated information.

Amazon link provided anyway.

I didn't read it as a scolding, but almost a lament that things are moving so fast that books are literally out of date by the time they reach book shelves (well, a day after)

The fact that HFCs are extraordinarily potent greenhouse gases has been known for a very long time so Lovelock's suggestion that they're "less harmful to the planetary environment" was only correct if you take a very narrow interpretation of what is harmful to the environment.

I'd be more interested to hear what he's got to say more generally about climate change in this book because a lot of what he's been saying recently is, quite frankly, pretty extreme and counterproductive.

don't you mean... disappointed?

I was reading about the difficulty of finding a substitute for CFCs and HFCs in heat pumps — trying to find something that wasn't itself a global warming gas.

Is there something intrinsic about the physical property of good heat pump gasses that also happens to make them particularly good at trapping the Earth's heat?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.