The EFF received a false copyright takedown demand. Bad mistake

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/12/the-eff-received-a-false-copyr.html

9 Likes

This is the IP equivalent of trying to mug Superman.

33 Likes

DF950626

27 Likes

It’s a mistake but a “bad mistake” would be if there were any consequences for this attempted shakedown.

15 Likes

I was going to say using a gun to try to rob a gun store, but if the EFF is going to let the offender off with a stern warning your analogy is better.

7 Likes

Nicely played EFF, not giving a speck of publicity.

13 Likes

I’m sad that they backed off the demand. I was hoping the story would be the EFF submitting the dispute form and having a bot automatically reject it. It would have been the most delicious copyright abuse case in recent memory if they had actually gone to trial.

7 Likes

EFF is a class act all the way around.

The response to the take down demand was gentle but assertive.

It’s awesome they did not presume malice, just simple ignorance.

The link below is old old old, but has a great xkcd cartoon embedded that goes to this point.

7 Likes

So let me get this straight…

They ripped off the EFF and then tried to claim the EFF was copying their art?

6 Likes

The penalty of perjury part of the DMCA needs teeth. Lots of sharp ones.

6 Likes

Huh… i’ve never had a post awaiting approval before.

1 Like

Poked at one hornet, hit the nest

1 Like

They didn’t exactly rip them off, since the image was available for public use, but they did claim that they made it and didn’t give credit to the actual source.

I’m not sure why this is awesome, since malice was absolutely intended. I believe that they don’t want to give them publicity, and it may well be that the company doesn’t have a history of doing this, but you don’t accuse someone of stealing your art without even checking that you made the art, without malicious intent. Giving these assholes the benefit of a doubt just encourages this behavior, and it already goes completely unpunished. This arrogant bullying should be an instant death knell for a company- it certainly can be for the victims who can’t fight back.

6 Likes

It’s not so much “brought a knife to a gun fight” as “brought a bent toothpick to a global thermonuclear war.”

2 Likes

EFF missed a chance. It should have filed an IMMEDIATE lawsuit vs the senders for punitive damages & attorneys fees. Easy win.

4 Likes

EFF:
omar

Copyright troll:

2 Likes

Where is the rest of the story? Your misleading (clickbait) headline clearly implies some payback.

This happens far too frequently here.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.