Starz abuses the DMCA to remove EFF's tweet about Starz abusing the DMCA

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/15/hornets-nests-r-us.html

6 Likes

Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.

18 Likes

I clicked the link to the 8 years lawsuit. Then I clicked the link to the 8 years lawsuit on that page. Then I clicked the link to an article about the result of that lawsuit. Then I clicked the link to the actual decision. Then I searched the actual decision for $, “dollars” and “pay”. So if you are wondering why no one learned a lesson from Universal’s experience with Dancing Baby, I can tell you.

13 Likes

Hell with it, I’m just going to claim ownership of everything on Stormfront, Maybe that will get the administration’s attention.

1 Like

There should be a 3 strike rule. If you do 3 take downs and they all get overturned. You can’t issue any more for a year.

11 Likes

What’s infuriating is on platforms like youtube if you successfullycounter a bogus infringement claim against you, it still counts as a copyright strike and you lose your channel after 3.

It’s kafkaesque af, and it honestly should apply the other way around if at all.

Or after 3 successful counters on your channel youtube should automatically treat you as trusted and require human manhours to get a claim filed against you since you appear to be drawing fake claims.

13 Likes

Unworkable because the bots generate literally thousands of fake claims every day and it would take an army to sift through them. Also because Youtube would be sued six ways to Sunday if they were issued a proper takedown (or even an improper one) from a media cartel and didn’t act on it. Until creators start suing Youtube over the takedowns (which honestly would probably be Quixotic lawsuits given the TOS and the fact that they’re not actually copyright claims) the situation is not going to change.

2 Likes

I think that’s @LDoBe’s point. Once it’s clear that a channel is being targeted by false takedown claims, keep it up until a trained human determines that it’s infringing. Rather than auto-takedown until the claims are established to be bogus.

2 Likes

Mind you, moose bites can be pretty nasty.

5 Likes

What is this “moose” you speak of? I am unfamiliar. Now, møøse bites, those are nasty indeed.

5 Likes

It’s not just one channel, it’s millions of channels. Youtube receives more than 2 million takedown requests every day.

2 Likes

A møøse once bit my sister.

3 Likes

Update, 4/15/2019: EFF’s tweet has been restored.

Good work EFF and thanks for spreading the word Cory!

4 Likes

What we need is statutory damages for a false DMCA claim. So long as invalid takedowns have no consequences they will continue to be abused.

6 Likes

Technically a false DMCA claim is perjury,but automated systems leave the actual claimant ambiguous, so it’s not clear who to go after.

3 Likes
2 Likes

What? AG screeners available now on the torrents??!? Thanks, Starz for bringing this to my attention! Downloading now.

cui bono?

The 2 million number doesn’t really touch on the idea of requiring human review on channels known to be receiving some number of false claims without knowing the number of claims hitting those repeat accounts. If almost all of them are going to accounts with no successful counterclaims, then it isn’t an argument against the idea. If most are going to channels that have successful counterclaims it seems to point to a problem somewhere else in the system.

2 Likes

Starz be like…