The end of a company with a very dumb idea

Well, that’s not Exactly true.

There’s places int he US that are called “rent-a-centers” with absurd pay-to-own plans, and well, they charge just as obscenely as this place was going.

Then there’s this, for pay-day loans:

1 Like

well, okay, but they provide the ‘service’ of letting you pretend to own the thing you can’t afford. that’s terrible in the long-run, but i can easily see why people would do it.

that ad is just stunning, though; 89.68% APR. is that legal only because they’re on a Reservation? and if so, how would enforcement work? strange.

I didn’t follow it to closely, but before they did CC reforms, shit like that were gold mines to CC companies.

I just wanted to make sure we understand that poor people are often more susceptible to paying extravagent fees to get things, and not having/affording it is not exactly a hinderance (hindsight).

intimately familiar with this fact, could go on for pages. thanks so much for the, uh, reminder, though.

And we missed the opportunity to have a coin called a doubloon. For this, I am disappointed in my countrymen.

3 Likes

My bad. But he bought $3MM in coins to get those 4MM airline miles.

First off, medievalists love coins. What self-respecting 13th century merchant prince wants a bag or coffer full of paper bills? Money is supposed to jingle, and a rich man should be able to beat paupers to death with the well-loaded lirepipe of his hat.

And craftsmen love pennies. Where can you get a zinc-cored copper washer for less than 5 cents? Answer: From any cashier’s till! Pennies make the best washers for copper rivets, and the zinc core makes them easier to drill to size. I know at least a dozen people with a roll of pre-drilled pennies on their workbench.

3 Likes

Technically that will remain illegal until we officially drop pennies as legal currency, so even more reason to take them out of circulation.

And he immediately paid off his credit card bill, in full with the coins he bought.

1 Like

Defacing coins is apparently legal, as long as you don’t try to pass them as coin afterwards. That’s why those penny-crushing machines are allowed to exist.

Laws against defacing money are just intended to punish you for adding extra zeros on the end of your ten dollar bills. The government doesn’t care how many coins you grind up, it’s good for the economy.

Beiing that a fair few paper notes I get reek of mephedrone and/or ketamine, I’d love plastic money…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.