The end of Windows closes in

1 Like

I wonder what percentage of those were forced on to it despite blocking updates. They acknowledged it and promised it won’t happen again of course but we’ve been down this road before; they treat their customers with contempt, couldn’t give a toss if an update bricks your system - you’re getting it whether you like it or not! This twice yearly rollout is strangling windows and the amount of comments i read daily over on askwoody about it… people are just sick of it, no wonder the adoption rate is in the toilet.

2 Likes

vous voulez que je ferme

1 Like

Dude’s an optimist.

Microsoft have never been able to get out of the habit of telling people what they want instead of giving them what they want. Even now, after all the massive changes they have been through, they still do stupid stuff like try and force people to use their crappy Edge browser or create an Outlook account just to have access to your own PC.
Years ago, people who didn’t care about computers just assumed that this is how it had to be, but now that everyone is a bit more tech savvy and knows that there are other options, Microsoft need to start actually listening to their customers

6 Likes

Didn’t we tell them this after 8? And after Vista? And after SE?

4 Likes

Thanks, @AndreaJames, for this essay-like text. I dig it.

Just FTR, I don’t follow here:

Office 365 has document lock-in, but the exact same forces that weakened Windows in the first place weaken the idea of documents

Could you elaborate?

I think what you are sayin’ is people use Office documents because everyone does. Which is true.

I have a painful history with office .doc’, and a still annoying history with .docx. In my branch of science, we had to submit nearly every paper as .docx because journals required this (i.e. because reviewers use MS Office). Even in prep, I had to do everything in .docx because my co-authors refused to work in anything else.
Don’t get me wrong, I think MS is doing quite a good job for most purposes with the Office suite. However, of you ever tried to work seriously with it, you have hit the limitations yourself, surely.

They will loose the advantages of “everyone knows how to use office docx’ses”, eventually. That’s for sure.

1 Like

Of course, the title of the article was a bit misleading. Everything changes, but Windows is still going to be the business and enterprise platform for quite a while. LINUX is great on the back end, not so much at the desktop level.

1 Like

Pretty much this. Also AD and NTFS are pretty much amazing things in an enterprise environment.
Also as much people complain about Outlook/Exchange having the displeasure to be stuck using the only other big name competitor Notes. I can say that Exchange is a way better platform.

In my PC tech/trainer past, I had to teach people to use Lotus Notes, and also had to support Exchange servers.
I think the former was harder.

2 Likes

I did helldesk for apple for a very brief while (i.e. til my first paycheque came, then I ran like fuck). They made everyone use Lotus Notes as MS software was Not Allowed. This would have been 2007, as I remember seeing the first iphones at a grand unveiling.

4 Likes

I was quoting from the linked post, but yes, instead of OS lock-in, things moved to document lock-in, but now that is being challenged as well. The big fight is over who will be the next-gen office productivity winner. Google Docs/Sheets etc., OpenOffice, and a whole raft of other orgs are looking at ways to break the document locks that Microsoft (and other lock-in docs like Adobe PDF editors) have been able to control as industry standards. It’s a massive business opportunity ripe for a cataclysmic change.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.