The enduring beauty of Jimmy Webb's "Wichita Lineman" and one of the greatest musical couplets ever written

the Meters 1970 cover is the only version for me:

1 Like

Interesting, you’re right. Just looked it up.

Campbell himself was a monster player, as most people know, but just in case -

4 Likes

“I need you more than want you” is perfectly balanced by one of the dumbest lines in popular song: “I know I need a small vacation.” It sounds like a google translation from German or something.

1 Like

oh how i love that album.

2 Likes

It’s of course very pretty, but I’m going to go out there and say it works best in the Glen Campbell version, with the orchestration. The covers I’ve heard tend to either be too precious or too far from the original to be interesting.

That said, it is interesting that such a popular love song is essentially a working-class song. When you think about “working-class” and music, it’s usually anthemic stuff like “Takin’ Care of Business” or “Working For The Weekend” (what is it with Canada and blue collar party rock?) A touching love song about a regular working guy? How many are there?

3 Likes

Beautiful song - Glen is - of course - another Wrecking Crew alum.

4 Likes

Pretty good Beach Boy, too.

4 Likes

That reminds me, I need to watch the doc on them.

3 Likes

Daaaang!

1 Like

ooh, i had forgotten that part!

1 Like

Wichita Lineman is an impressive song. I remember hearing Glen Campbell singing it on network TV when I was a teen. His mellifluous voice, personality, and good looks were a great combination for this performance. Thanks.

2 Likes

In another lifetime, I was a singer in an electronic/postpunk/noise/pop band. Not what most would consider a ‘good’ singer, I’m pretty pitchy - my role models were folks like Edward Ka-Spel, Ian Curtis, Gary Numan, David Byrne. The band broke up, as bands do, in the late 90s, after a ten-year run, and long after turning over singing duties to a more talented vocalist. I moved to a different stage in my life, got a degree, moved to the country, built a house, IT job, married the keyboard/guitar player.

Maybe six or so years ago, My wife and I started learning and playing favorite songs for fun. I started singing again. For some reason, I started sounding pretty good to myself, better than in the band days, singing songs I would not have thought I could pull off. Sounding more like I always sounded when I would sing in dreams. Songs by Bowie, John Grant, Gordon Lightfoot, Chris Isaak. And Wichita Lineman, which I hadn’t really thought much of either way before, but learning and singing Wicked Game by Chris Isaak, I learned I could actually kind of sing with a country twinge, even though I have never been much of a country fan. Excepting the greats, of course, Dolly, Willie, Hank.

So we learned Wichita Lineman, and I was really enjoying it, especially the part where I could put a bit of a yelp between “never” and “stand the strain.” Then, about eighteen months ago, I was singing “Sigourney Weaver” by John Grant, and in the middle of the song, my soft palate just… stopped working. Totally nasal sounding. Weird. I just kind of played it off as a goof, as I would sometimes do, to not alarm my loving guitar player. My voice recovered after a half hour.

A couple of weeks later, at a work picnic, I was talking to someone and it happened again, I just lost the ability to control my mouth muscles and form words. Totally freaked out, I excused myself and got the hell home. Told my wife the next morning, and, after talking to a nurse relative, then my GP, made an appointment with a neurologist. Sure enough, as the internet clues had led me to believe, I had a somewhat rare neurological disorder, Myasthenia Gravis. Causes voluntary muscles to easily fatigue and stop working. No cure, just some mitigation of the symptoms via continuous tweaking of drugs and dosages. Still about a thousand times less horrible than other autoimmune diseases like MS and Rheumatoid Arthritis, though.

Of all the indignities the symptoms cause, the only thing that really broke my heart is that I can’t really sing anymore. Sometimes I can make it through “Man Who Sold the World” or “Heaven” by Talking Heads, but I’m not even going to try Wichita Lineman again. I still love the song, but it’s tough to hear. At least I nailed it for a few months, that was pretty sweet.

So that’s my Wichita Lineman story.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.