The English government have just abolished public education

Agreed. I’m not opposed to private, charter or alternative education. It’s how charter schools are administered as a means to strip-mine public education that I object to. In principle alternatives are great.

2 Likes

This isn’t likely to be a successful approach, there are no one-size-fits-all solutions to these kinds of things, and giant nation-wide, top-down implementations are unlikely to be flexible enough to handle this fact. The more competing ideas and implementations the better, as long as there are guarantees around access and curriculum at a national level.

I don’t mean we need a top down, one size fits all type of system. However, we could do better on funding public schools, at the very least. Pay teachers better, figure out a way that they’re not overworked and underpaid. There are some places you can indeed standardized that would make the variability already inherent in our system not an automatic burden on the children of the working poor. We’re failing our children and we can do better. We just don’t want to. We’re too concerned about blowing up other countries working poor’s children, I’m afraid. Or giving tax breaks to giant corporations.

And again, I point to montessori. It does great with kids in a single class room who have vastly different learning styles. Maybe not for all kids, but it works for many different kinds of kids, a majority of kinds of kids, I’d argue.

3 Likes

Tories: they’re still lower than vermin.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 339 days. New replies are no longer allowed.