In a move that’s so right wing and stupid that it hasn’t been tried somewhere in the USA yet, the English government have just quietly abolished public education. The full impacts of this will take a number of years to be felt fully, but this is an utterly destructive move which will take at least 50 years to reverse.
All state schools in England (Thankfully, at least it’s only one out of the four nations governed by Westminster) are going to be converted to Academies.This means:
- Local government has no control of local schools any more.
- All school buildings and facilities have been transferred to the new academies (an act of massive theft of public resources)
- At a stroke- national pay and conditions for Teachers have been abolished
- These Academies are allowed to be run by chains, or sponsors- brining profit making corporations into the provision of education everywhere along the chain.
- National curriculum standards have been abandoned.
Therefore, we’re all set for a slow-motion race to the bottom as large chains of privateers take over local schools, Pay and facilities will be stripped to the bone to provide dividends for shareholders, we will see minimum legal provision of services to maximise profit and the taxpayer will be left to pick up the tab.
It’s also designed to be irreversible, as all the buildings and facilities have been transferred to private ownership, making it prohibitively expensive to bring schools back under democratic control.
There we are. Wholesale asset stripping of an entire new sector. Coming soon to the NHS as well.