The estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle filed a lawsuit against "Enola Holmes" for having emotions

You could charge your kids license fees because they are using your DNA.

5 Likes

And make them sign a DNA NDA, unless it leads to a career in the NBA. I don’t need some MBA at the NSA looking into my investments at BofA!

13 Likes

I was about to post that. As @Laburdick points out, there are many more in the series, and counting.

Sherlock definitely has emotions in the series, even thinking up romantic gestures for his much younger wife, and expressing outrage at certain types of crime and criminal. I wonder what the estate thinks of that.

2 Likes

My public library has all of them, as far as I know. Note that the order of publishing isn’t exactly the order of the ongoing story line in the books.

3 Likes

This is a good sentiment, but inapplicable in this case because Doyle has no surviving direct heirs. So make extra sure that your step-great grandson is completely cut out of from profiting from your estate.

3 Likes

I’m getting buried with it! I mean, once I acquire it!

2 Likes

Besides all the copyright-whining from the estate, I wonder when other copyright-claims will appear …

What I saw in the trailer:

Use of Guy Richie like titles/graphics

The subplot of Enola as a boy in a boys-school and especially the sparse trasnformation sequence is the plot of the movie “Yentl” (although the color of her cap is different I have to admit …)

Fights in trains, quite an exclusive subplot reserved for James Bond … but I don’t want to appear overly picky …

Some “The Blue Lagoon” during these overly warm/oranhe graded sequences with a magnificant, polite, respectful adolescent … wait, is TBL ok to be even mentioned currently?

1 Like

Don’t forget protection!

8 Likes

Holmes was also a quick buck making side project for Doyle, who lamented the fact that the reading public payed so much more attention to those trifles than they did to his serious literature.

As someone who went to the trouble of reading some of the latter, the public was in the right.

5 Likes

The Adventures of Helena Poirot…

3 Likes

Yeah, this was no secret when the show was airing. It’s a deliberate recasting of Sherlock Holmes in the vein of a medical drama. His best friend was Dr. James Wilson (i.e. Watson).

Edit: Also, it’s a fantastic show. :slight_smile:

1 Like

First, the Estate can’t even get their legal rights straight: Only six stories remain in copyright in the U.S., none outside the U.S. Second, their position that Holmes is only emotional in the six copyrighted stories is ludicrous. For more on the case–the full complaint filed by the CDEL and the reply filed by the defendants–see the website free-sherlock. It’s apparent to any objective observer that this is merely another attempt by the CDEL to “extort” (in the words of Judge Posner of the 7th Circuit) money from the defendants.

7 Likes

At least Doyle chose a different name. He wasn’t trying to capitalize on the appeal of someone else’s character.

I didn’t say I agree it is the Doyle estate’s IP, only that they see it as such, and so this is an invitation to a lawsuit. I also see starting with someone else’s literary universe (and their audience) as kind of an admission of limited imagination. (An exception is fanfic, which generally serves in part as a mark of respect to the original author, and isn’t usually done for profit.)

As for Disney, I wouldn’t defend them any more than I’d defend Netflix (as you’re doing), though I’m open to good offers from Disney Corp.

1 Like

“It is simple enough as you explain it,” I said, smiling. “You remind me of Edgar Allen Poe’s Dupin. I had no idea that such individuals did exist outside of stories.”

Sherlock Holmes rose and lit his pipe. “No doubt you think that you are complimenting me in comparing me to Dupin,” he observed. “Now, in my opinion, Dupin was a very inferior fellow. That trick of his of breaking in on his friends’ thoughts with an apropos remark after a quarter of an hour’s silence is really very showy and superficial. He had some analytical genius, no doubt; but he was by no means such a phenomenon as Poe appeared to imagine.”

“Have you read Gaboriau’s works?” I asked. “Does Lecoq come up to your idea of a detective?”

Sherlock Holmes sniffed sardonically. “Lecoq was a miserable bungler,” he said, in an angry voice; “he had only one thing to recommend him, and that was his energy. That book made me positively ill. The question was how to identify an unknown prisoner. I could have done it in twenty-four hours. Lecoq took six months or so. It might be made a text-book for detectives to teach them what to avoid.”

I felt rather indignant at having two characters whom I had admired treated in this cavalier style. I walked over to the window, and stood looking out into the busy street. “This fellow may be very clever,” I said to myself, “but he is certainly very conceited.”

A Study in Scarlet

7 Likes

I have saved my child by not getting rich in the first place (so far, at least).

2 Likes

SorryNotSorry: Is Enola Gay?

3 Likes

Yes, I get that copyright protects the specific expression of ideas, not the ideas themselves. Yet, according to the boingboing summary, the suit against Enola Holmes seems to be about aspects of Sherlock Holmes’s character (that he experiences emotions). I was trying to contrast this to a series that borrowed many elements, both abstract and concrete, recently enough to be relevant but long-ago enough that even more of the Holmes catalog still enjoyed copyright benefits.

That a thing?.. Googles… Not a thing… Sadness!

1 Like

(Possibly preaching to the choir, but:) He has in the original stories as well. The sociopathic aspects came with later adaptations … (Similarly, the original stories usually portrait Lestrade as fairly competent inspector who asks Holmes for help for the “mysterious” cases. Most adaptations show him as an half-idiot opponent to Holmes and/or working against Holmes getting involved in his cases.)

2 Likes

I know. The Laurie R. King books also show Lestrade (son of the original Lestrade) as competent and helpful, as well as showing other characters in a different light. I was wondering how the publishers avoided a similar lawsuit, since the Doyle estate claims copyright over any expressions of emotion. Maybe they came to some agreement, or maybe Netflix is just a more tempting target.

2 Likes