The eyeglass industry is a ripoff, with "markups often approaching 1,000%"

zenni is probably the cheapest, although they’re trying to move upmarket with “designer” frames. Ever since the first pair of progressive lenses cost me $200+ out of pocket even after insurance, the family has purchased all their glasses online.

2 Likes

I’ve heard less-than-ideal results for folks like me who have a high Rx, so I’ve been a bit hesitant. Does anyone have a recommendation for a place that’s done a really good job on high prescription sets? (High index lenses a must.)

5 Likes

But for $20 or so it’s worth the risk to try out, yes?

For the really cheap ones. The higher tier, designery ones tend run free try on orders. Where they send you 5 frames and a return label so you can actually put them on your face.

There’s sort of two ends to the online glasses thing. Budget sellers like Zenni, and the 60-100 companies like Warby Parker (though they’re starting to get more expensive). I’ve been going with the more expensive brands for my main glasses. They look a little better, fit a little better, and use better materials than the budget stuff. The budget sites will usually sell glasses of the same quality at similar or cheaper prices. But they’re less distinct design wise and tend not to fit on my head.

I used to go to Walmart, genuine optician for like 35 bucks. And don’t give you a problem about giving you a copy of the script. I have optical coverage now so I can go to an opticians office if I’d like to. Haven’t had an exam in a while.

A lot of the upper tier brands are actually run by optician practices. My current frames are from SeenSeeSaw who are apparently a practice in San Francisco. Probably do better with extreme or complicated scripts. Some of the other brands won’t do complex scripts at all, and they usually come at additional cost.

1 Like

Yes! Big shout out to Coyote at Labrabbit Optics on Ashland – a master designer/curator and all around super interesting fella.

1 Like

thank you! i’ve never heard of them, so i’ll check them out. like you, my last progressives cost me about $200 or so out of pocket, after insurance. i can’t continue on like that.

Haha, Coyote at Labrabbit was one of the people I was thinking of when I typed that!

I get my prescription at the optometrist covered by my insurance. I haven’t found one yet that will provide me with the Pupillary Distance number required by Zenni and other online glasses places, though, because they know what you need it for. But it’s a cinch to measure yourself at home with a ruler or the little tools Zenni etc. provide.

Zenni has been wonderful both for my daily wear glasses and sunglasses but also for theater and LARP glasses. For $15 or so, I can get a pair of prescription costume glasses to wear for a few days ‘on stage’ without caring if they get beaten up or smashed.

3 Likes

I dunno if they’re still doing it but they also used to sell things like prescription safety glasses/goggles and corrective inserts for things like dive and welding masks.

Which is insanely useful given such things aren’t ever covered by insurance.

3 Likes

I think an anti-trust suit might be in order.

With a -6.25 prescription, progressives, UV and anti-scratch it’s quite a bit more, plus I get a higher priced frame (the cheap ones are flimsy) to protect the investment.

I also have a big head (literally speaking).

I do miss the nice ladies telling me how great I look with those frames.

3 Likes

I’ve bought my last couple of pairs from EyeBuyDirect with good results. If you have an up to date prescription from an optometrist that you trust, the rest is easy.

Brand name frames are indeed a high markup ripoff.

Thank you, that’s a great tip. Looks like they still have prescription safety goggles and sports goggles, but if they still sell dive mask inserts I can’t find them.

Tell me about it. Any frame less than a 57 width has me all like:

And do you know how fucking hard it is to find a 57 or wider frame?

4 Likes

How’s “economic freedom” working out for everyone?
/s

3 Likes

I think “economic freedom” means “freedom to buy your glasses online or at Costco or something rather than a fashion eyeglass chain like Luxottica” and to ignore your optometrist’s puppy-dog eyes when they try to sell you $300 frames.

1 Like

I hesitate going cheap with my glasses/contacts. At -13, I don’t take any chances.

Luckily, very generous insurance covers my bendy frames and quarter-inch lenses.

4 Likes

Last time I looked into buying glasses (which was admittedly years ago) I couldn’t find anywhere that offered as high an index as a particular local store - though to be fair, places like Lenscrafters didn’t offer that index either. Left me pretty discouraged, like the online glasses revolution kinda forgot some of us are literally like…

cant-see-without-glasses-velma-scooby-doo|nullxnull

Maybe it’s better now. Though even so I rarely find many options for my preferred shape (completely circular) - though when I checked zenni optical just now to see if the selection was better I came across these and holy shit someone somewhere better be wearing the HELL out of those glasses.

3 Likes

It’s worth going to an actual ophthalmologist (an MD) periodically vs just an optometrist, especially if you’re over 40. They’re much more qualified to spot medical problems before they get out of hand.

Ophthalmologist offices don’t rely as heavily on frame sales and often won’t give you as much shit for taking your rx and leaving.

1 Like

Here’s (another, albeit fun) take on the ripoff.

3 Likes