The first trailer for Marvel's "WandaVision" is like "The Truman Show" mixed with superhero horror

They really leaned into that idea in Spider-Man: far from home, where the whole class was supposed to be on a science-based field trip to Europe.

Peter Parker: Thor was a myth, and now I study him in my physics class.

Mr. Harrington: What do you think it is?

Mr. Dell: You know, being a man of science, witches.

1 Like

I remember Pleasantville as original but still something that needed about 30 minutes cut out of its running time. It also depended on the audience’s familiarity of 1950s sitcom tropes to work, so it might be a hard sell nowadays since most young adults didn’t spend years watching reruns of Leave it to Beaver or I Love Lucy.

Googling that movie brought up a surprisingly insightful review from a conservative publication called Christian Answers:

On a surface level, the message of the film appears to be “morality is black and white and pleasant, but sin is color and better,” because often through the film the Pleasantvillians become color after sin (adultery, premarital sex, physical assault, etc…). In one scene in particular, a young woman shows a brightly colored apple to young (and yet uncolored) David, encouraging him to take and eat it. Very reminiscent of the Genesis’s account of the fall of man.

I think that’s… kind of a spot-on take? The main characters WERE bringing the fruit of knowledge to the blissfully ignorant denizens of the town and making the world a much more interesting place in the process.

4 Likes

I’d like to thank you for my first good laugh of the day!

I’d say I’m a moderate Marvel fan, and I’m old enough that I’m aware of some those freaky Wanda/Vision storylines (and don’t even get me started on what they did to Carol Danvers!). I know trailers only give you the good stuff because that’s what they’re for, but the trailer editor has my thumbs-up for sure. This is Bewitched set in Lovecraft Country, and that is right smack in my bailiwick! (But dammit I really didn’t want to give Disney my money.)

The vibe I got was Betwitched. And I’m up for that.

This is Bewitched set in Lovecraft Country, and that is right smack in my bailiwick! (But dammit I really didn’t want to give Disney my money.

I just started watching “Lovecraft Country”. Does it get spookier after episode 1 @copykate?

Full disclosure: I heard it got significantly scarier and I’m a big ol’ chicken and stopped watching. So I can’t confirm that it does. And hence my excitement for something that’s a smidge less scary but still creepy.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.