The Flying of the Freak Flags

It also makes a great salad dressing!

10 Likes

Are we not supposed to do that?

10 Likes

Relative to the general populace, Iā€™m fairly weird, but in this company Iā€™m pretty much plain vanilla, so nothing much to report.

25 Likes

I always eat the green ones first, then I go color by color.

12 Likes

When I was a kid, my dad always got sardines at Christmas. Heā€™d make a big deal about them, and offer me some. I got to like them quickly, and as an adult I often have a can on hand for a quick lunch. Sometimes I do the Alton Brown thing and eat them on toast with avocado.

This year he pulled me aside at Christmas and admitted that heā€™s not actually much of a sardine fan, but that his mom put them in his stocking as a kid, and when he got married, he told my mom, whoā€™s been putting them in his stocking ever since, so he pretends to love them.

Now, where school lunches go, I never got sardines, but my dad often made me my favorite sandwich ā€“ braunschweiger on rye. This was normal food we ate around the house all the time, but kids at tables all around me mocked me, pointed, laughed, etc. I loved braunschweiger enough that it made me jaded about being weird about food and I learned to eat what I liked.

18 Likes

I have Hitchhikerā€™s thumbs and although right now my body is in really bad shape my overall flexibility is still great.

24 Likes

26 Likes

I could have written this. Chronic severe depression (since childhood) with a big dose of panic attacks and agoraphobia on the side and avoidant personality tendencies. I love my friends, love talking with high intelligent people but the energy spent on interacting IRL exhausts me.

21 Likes

I just held my thumb up to the screen to compare.

Oh, wait, thatā€™s normal

6 Likes

People get totally freaked out and nervous when I do it, telling it looks like I broke my fingers (my thumbs go a little more down than the one in the picture)

Are you my lost mutant cousin?

6 Likes

I find that the right company is electrifying, and the wrong company intoxicating. The latter exhausts me.

My thumbs go back pretty far, I can bend just the last knuckle on all my fingers, individually or all at once, and independantly of the middle knuckle, too.

And I am definitely your long lost mutant cousin.

Also,

I have a hazardous waste collection, I keep them in a safety cabinet.
I also collect bricks, and I keep them in a patio
I like going into places where I have to wonder ā€œis today the day I find a dead bodyā€?

14 Likes

Thereā€™s certain websites that consist of nothing but.

7 Likes

I recall Oliver Sachs ate sardines & couscous for lunch every-single-day.

Braunschweiger on rye is great, but even better with american cheese, pepperoni and mustard. Is that my ā€œfreakā€ post?

8 Likes

American cheese: hey, sure. Soft and melty and salty and innocuous.
Mustard: an absolute must with braunschweiger! Polish/German brown mustard if possible.
Pepperoni: WHAT IS THIS ITALIAN ABOMINATION

[ actually that sounds tasty ]

4 Likes

I donā€™t care for formal competitions to the point of leaving the swimming classes when the focus became training for getting medals instead of learning how to swim (to the astonishment of parents, teachers and colleagues alike because I was good) - BUT I have to reign in my competitive streak when geeking out about comics.

I had to prove myself worthy of being part of the group (in the 90s) so I have a tendency to outgeek people that think they know more about comics than me. And I can be cruel.

This from someone that usually says that she doesnā€™t have a dick so thereā€™s no need to compare sizes lol.

10 Likes

I too, live among a cowled community of an order that is related to a nearby likeminded community of similarly cowled members of the community of feghoot collectors to which we belong.

I am of the hooded brother hood to the hooded brotherhood of our Brotherhood.

Aside from that:

• I have a hard time hating the perpetrators of heinous crimes.
  • I kind of like listening to Sarah Vowellā€™s voice.
  • I like to read books I like several times, occasionally reading it again after Iā€™ve just read it.
  • I get extremely annoyed when someone writes an X without intersecting lines so that it looks like two confused parentheses: )(.
  • I learned to drive when I was 26.
  • I donā€™t think skunk smells that bad.
  • I LOVE tomato juice and canā€™t buy it except as a treat because it basically lasts a day.
  • I steal worthless things. A fake poinsettia from a row decorating a building on campus. A driedel from a set of ornaments on a table advertising a winter break program. The rule is that it canā€™t be something anyone would really care about.
  • I collect interesting and mellifluous names.
  • I often donā€™t match my socks. One red and one blue? Thatā€™ll do.
  • I once tried to master Dutch from watching in-flight movies with subtitles while flying KLM. I did not.
  • I once stabbed someone in the arm with a pen in anger. I was in high school. He was my best friend. It was a rather sickening experience.
  • I like Nickelback okay. Theyā€™re not my favorite, but I donā€™t get the hate.
  • In movies, when the heroes are faced with quicksand, or walls closing in, or some other improbable calamity, I perk up to see how they get out of it. Not because Iā€™m in suspense, but in case I find myself in a similar situation.
19 Likes

Iā€™ve been into horseradish mustard of late, brown with an extra kick. The acid and bite of the mustard and the hot of the pepperoni balance the heavyness of the cheese and liver. And if you really want to go all in: raw onion.

3 Likes

If weā€™re comparing hands nowā€¦

Steinberg sign

Walker-Murdoch sign

3 Likes

I have a lot more in common with many of yā€™all than I thought.

9 Likes

Can I come with you?

I collect graffiti, and I just dig exploring, which means I sometimes wander into out of the way places.

11 Likes