The Flying of the Freak Flags

I look specifically for the writings of the uninstitutionalized clinically insane. People who are deeply, tragically psychologically broken. The kind that are skulking and hiding all around us, terrified by the monsters that they see among us and in our eyes… I became aware of them in Philadelphia, when I was working at the Academy. A lot of them went to ground there in the post-Pennhurst emptying of the asylums.

19 Likes

One of the most interesting museums I’ve ever been to is the Art Brut Museum in Switzerland, dedicated to art and writings by untrained artists, many of whom were insane, their art found after they’d died, or done while institutionalized. Apparently there’s an exhibition in NYC taken from the museum, but it’s only there for 5 more days, dang.

11 Likes

can you post an example?

2 Likes

Unfortunately the household is a bit higgledty-piggledty at the moment, due to several holidays, the inheritance of a fair pile of space stuff, and the relocation of three large bookshelves, but I am sure I can find at least one to scan in later this evening.

@nungesser, thanks for that!

3 Likes

How about if a really hot supermodel broke into your house?

11 Likes

How do you feel about Dr Bronner’s?

8 Likes

I like margarine better than butter.

16 Likes
  • There are forms of tofu that I actually like.
  • I like to play songs from the 80’s that my son has never heard before, and sing along kinda loud, because it freaks him out a little (because it’s magic that I know the words, eh?).
  • I will always be in possession of an Atari 2600.
  • I hate the color pink. Passionately.
  • I want to sort my son’s legos by shape in the worst way.
27 Likes

I read that as “I want to sort my son’s legs by shape in the worst way” and thought “yep, that’s definitely weird.”

I do enjoy sorting M&Ms, Skittles, jellybeans etc. by color probably more than eating them.

10 Likes

Agreed, that would be really weird. Alas, it’s just a bit of OCD, possibly not even that weird.

Sweet, your ninja edit confirms my sorting fetish isn’t all that weird!

5 Likes

When I’m in a hurry, my go-to quick lunch is a block of extra firm tofu cut into loose chunks, drizzled with ponzu or soy and seasoned with furikake.

8 Likes

Uhm, the labels are completely, readily, easily comprehensible and I don’t have any trouble reading them? They are typically excerpts from the Moral ABC. I don’t see any insanity, but a rather refreshingly consistent and accessible worldview, that I for the most part agree with. Dr. Bronner was a brilliant man and we’d all benefit from taking some of his advice to heart.

Yeah, yeah, I know. This has come up before. Dilute! Dilute! Dilute! It’s all-one or none!

I once sorted well over a thousand legos by shape and stored them in labeled drawers.

13 Likes

I’ve internalized so many weird songs. Parody songs, dirty blues, folk music, obscure music that didn’t chart but was maybe a regional hit briefly. Sometimes I will play at an open mic and bust out some obscure 1960s folk song that didn’t chart, just because it popped into my head, and almost everyone there will think I wrote it. Occasionally someone recognizes it, and that makes my whole week.

20 Likes

Well, she’d have to ravish me mercilessly, of course, as I struggled to defend my…

Wait, what were we talking about? I think I drifted off for a while.

15 Likes

Yes! (Umm, not color as well?)

YES!

7 Likes

THIS.
However this isn’t to say I don’t try to win just you know a good close game even when you lose is a way better time than simply stomping your opponent. I blame the tabletop gamers I learned from where it was just as much about hanging out for the afternoon as much as it was the game also I bristle playing with unpainted miniatures thanks to those guys, provided it is the sort of game where you should be painting your toys that is.

13 Likes

When I don’t feel well, or I have no time to eat, my go-to is a can of sardines.

I’ve always loved them, but I once brought some for lunch in elementary school. People literally jeered, pointed and laughed. I never brought them to school again, but boy-o-boy I love sardines.

24 Likes

At the age where I’m supposed to be concerned about losing my hair and it becoming grey, I’m more interested in choosing which colour(s) it’s going to be next.

I like people and find them mostly fascinating and interesting, but I hate meeting them or talking to them and will go to great lengths to avoid this. I’m at my best through a keyboard and screen.

Related: As a long-term depressive (and as something to be proud of, it’s now been exactly one year since my last serious attempt at ending it. Screw you, brain! This time, you do not win. :slight_smile: ) I seriously love making people smile.

And (weird for here!) I legit think that pro-wrestling is about the greatest thing around. It blends athleticism, theatre and violence with just the right amount of stupid.

29 Likes

Good, because here you do quite often.

23 Likes

Awww. :blush:
It’s good to be able to have that opportunity. And just being around other weirdos makes my issues seem smaller and more manageable.

14 Likes