The glaring challenge for Mastodon

Awkward Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

3 Likes

Isn’t the greatest advantage of Mastodon that it allows you to migrate wholesale to another instance? I was reading Cory’s piece on this the other day, and it’s true that you don’t often see this feature written about much as yet because they’re still trying to compare very different services. Should there be some Muskrat type bad actors running an instance then you can just jump ship, or is this oversimplifying it?

This feature will become more prominent, because there is nothing about running a Mastodon server that means that you are good at running a Mastodon server. Elon Musk isn’t an evil genius – he’s an ordinary mediocrity who lucked into a lot of power and very little accountability. Some Mastodon operators will have Musk-like tendencies that they will unleash on their users, and the difference will be that those users can click two links and move elsewhere. Bye-eee!

https://pluralistic.net/2022/12/19/better-failure/#let-my-tweeters-go

1 Like

Dead on, as always. The critical mass thing isn’t about whether or not Mastodon needs it, as you point out, but instead about whether or not it could replace mass-market social media with something decentralized.

My OP was about it replacing one of these large networks. To do that my parents need to want to move away from say FB for some reason, which would require their friends and the rest of my family to do so. And for my sister to move, her business reach would have to be unimpeded by moving off Twitter.

Those two things are very much not in the goals of most early Mastodon users, but as you point out:

Totally right again, IMHO! the Fediverse needs to be large enough that it’s the place of choice instead of the monolithic entities, but… that’s it. “growth” after that isn’t relevant. If it’s where people who want to network go, then the goal is accomplished. I agree with your insight here. :slight_smile:

Mastodon is kinda-sorta making this happen! There are genuine conversations happening about how, and in what form, Governments should get involved in this process.

5 Likes

He totally did; his willful fuckery did way more to drive millions of users to Mastodon than it ever did to attract anyone* to Twitter.

*Excepting those with nefarious intent, of course. The agents of chaos and discord love this shit.

5 Likes

well… discord is an entirely different thing. more like the bbs than mastodon :wink:

5 Likes

Continuing the discussion from How to Mastodon:

Hey, Musk dropped $44B without due diligence or understanding how to monetize Twitter.

Move fast, grab control now, break things, figure it out later.

“We’ve added advertising and user data collection, but now people are ‘forking the code’? Is that hacker slang for property theft? Call the lawyers!”

2 Likes

We have very commited engineers at Twitter. I know because they commit to GitHub after every sprint.

6 Likes
2 Likes

What my instance currently sees (Mastodon being the big blue part of the ring):

If the Nazis could have their own software so that they stand out, that would be great!

2 Likes

Well, I’ve made the plunge and shut down my Twitter. Be the change you wanna see… decentralization is literally 5 orders of magnitude harder than simple facebook-style centralization, but… we gotta start if we want to eventually get there, right? So I’m on Mastodon and not Twitter any more. Good riddance.

So yeah. You, too, should give Mastodon a shot. Like Discourse, this very software, it is open source so we can collectively make it better together, at least in theory?

8 Likes