The GOP tax plan was supposed to gouge high tax blue states with massive hikes, but it'll probably end up making them richer

1 Like

Agreed. Hence “As for Il Douche’s voters in red states…” instead of “As for red-state voters…” or “As for all residents of red states…”

1 Like

Getting rid of personal exemptions eliminates most of the benefit that raising the standard deduction would seem to provide, though. I itemize as well, and my taxes are likely to go up, too (I live in MA now, which is a lower tax state than NY).

2 Likes

To be specific, a couple with 2 kids now has a $24,000 standard deduction, loses $16,200 in personal exemptions, and can deduct far fewer expenses, for a net increase in AGI. The impact of the child tax credit is beyond my ability to figure and dependent on tax bracket, but my sense is it ends up about where it was for them.

1 Like

Except Obama didn’t use his win to target and punish the “losers”, which is exactly what Trump did.

And, you use the “Hussein” to trolley? This probably isn’t the place for that.
Infowars.com or Reddit - Dive into anything is probably more your style.

Are you really this dense? Does driving trollies pay well?

9 Likes

“What’s more, the psychology of payroll taxes and salary posting means that many employers will raise wages to offset the new payroll tax, putting more money in their pockets.”

Employers will raise wages? Is that likely to happen???

3 Likes

It is a tax on the wealthy who live in highly taxed states, as you yourself said. Certainly they can afford to pay more?

I do not see why a decision to live in a highly taxed versus a lower taxed state should affect my Federal tax bill, any more than

a decision to live in an apartment versus a single family home, or

a decision to heat my bathwater with natural gas versus solar, or

a decision to work for two days a month in a local food bank versus sleeping in and sending a $300 check to an officially recognized “charity”, which will skim a third off the top for advertising and administrative costs.

This bill didn’t go too far in removing deductions for specific behaviors. It went not nearly far enough.

Happy New Year to you and yours!

1 Like

GDP growth of 2.1 percent would have been pretty good in 2013. Today, not so much.

I’ll bite.

Easy to get large growth numbers when your state economy GDP is shit, overall, by virtue of market fluctuation. GDP is a crap measurement, by the way - stupidly easy to manipulate.

In short: 5% growth over 0 is still shit.

6 Likes

One acronym: PAYE

That is all.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.