The great Buckwheat hoax

3 Likes

The following quote reminded me of another Three Investigators connection:

There was actually a Three Investigators books where someone did this (okay, it was more like 13,16 years later, the times don’t really add up). Jupiter Jones, presumedly Baby Fatso from Little Rascals fame, and the other actors get together for a Revisiting-and-quiz show and there is an imposter among them, keen to get the $20,000 prize. (In mid-80s money.)

2 Likes

Then I presume you really have no love for the even later ones, with Froggy and a very young Robert Blake?

2 Likes

Yep, you’re right. I kinda hate those – to me they lack the naturalism and seeming authenticity of the earlier ones, and even of those of the Spanky/Alfalfa era, which themselves were a step down. (And Froggy is THE WORST.)

Movies moved away from the ribald slapstick comedy of the 20s and 30s, and by the time little Bobby Blake came along in the 40s, the Our Gang comedies were produced by MGM, and they were full of a lot more sentimental stuff. Life during wartime, after all, meant there were even propaganda overtones. They were also mostly shot in a studio, as opposed to on location.

But, yeah, Froggy gave me the creeps. On the other hand, I thought the very early ones had creepy overtones, too. Maybe it was the bad audio quality, or the jump cuts, or just the very unwashed quality of the kids. I still watched them, over and over. Along with the Bowery Boys. For some reason, I never much liked The Three Stooges, though.

1 Like

From the following text it sure sounds like you watched enough of it though.

Three channels, plus a handful of local stations, it’s not as if we were ever inundated with alternatives.

We called those “books”. :wink:

But I was lucky enough to live a city and where various libraries where available to me, even as kid.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.