"The Great Gatsby”, new to the public domain, gets Muppet adaptation

Well, he’s taught in schools as an archetypal unreliable narrator, so it’s impossible to be sure, but he’s kinda shitty to date - he supposedly has a girlfriend? fiancee? somewhere in the midwest he sometimes writes (but maybe not) while fooling around with Jordan (and maybe another girl in his office). Not that big a deal now, but I was under the impression it would have been more scandalous back in the day.

But my biggest hitch with his character is that he watches all the terrible behavior around him and does nothing. He’s a confidant that people tell their secrets to, but he just kinda… sits there. Hell, up until the very end he could have been a figment of Gatsby’s imagination the whole time.

1 Like

Maybe they should play safe, and go for Kafka’s ‘The Trial’. That’s also up for grabs this year.

1 Like

He died? And this is supposed to be a kids movie!

3 Likes

Remember how a decade ago the big thing was taking public domain works and adding weird stuff to them? Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Android Karenina, that sort of thing? I wonder if someone will tackle Gatsby that way,

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.