"The Great Gatsby”, new to the public domain, gets Muppet adaptation

Originally published at: "The Great Gatsby", new to the public domain, gets Muppet adaptation | Boing Boing

6 Likes

prince-harry-um-no

3 Likes

I wonder how Muppet Workshop would handle all the, you know, manslaughter and murder and stuff.

(The screenplay seems to handle it in a pretty Muppety way, but it’s still more PG than G.)

4 Likes

They might make and adaptation I find interesting.

1 Like

Statler, “Gatsby? He’s not that great!”

Waldorf, “Mediocre, at best!”

12 Likes

Ew. Why? Gatsby is a crappy book. I understand how thrilled english classes are with the whole ‘unreliable narrator’ thing, but it’s a genuinely oppressive book to read. Literally every major character is a complete scumbag, and there’s no good ending for any of them - how are the muppets gonna portray that?

1 Like

Everyone is entitled to their own subjective opinion on literature, of course, but Nick is a scumbag? How so? Doesn’t it seem that he eventually recognizes these people for what they are?

In any event, the moral bankruptcy of the characters is kind of the point, no? Granted, that’s a point largely missed by the folks who think of it as more of a party theme than a book, but it’s still there.

5 Likes

I want Asylum Studios, the minds behind Sharknado, to do an adaptation.

3 Likes

Spoiler alert:

6 Likes

Great Gatsby vs the Magnificent Ambersons: in 3D!!!

1 Like

There was a fair amount of murder in Treasure Island too.

5 Likes

I shamefully admit I’ve neither read Treasure Island nor seen Muppet Treasure Island. But I feel like that sort of murder would be comparatively easy to bowdlerize out. But two of the most plot-pivotal moments in Gatsby?

I would 100% watch a Muppets Gatsby adaptation. I found the movie to be ok but it never really won me over, but a parody of it i think would be real fun :smiley:

1 Like

“The Great Gonzo” would be a good way to go, Kermit plays Nick, Piggy plays Daisy, Gonzo plays The Great Gonzo, who secretly loves Piggy (Daisy) and gets Kermit (Nick) to help him woo her. Link Hogthrob (Pigs in Space) plays Tom, who is with Piggy (Daisy) and resents Gonzo because he loves Piggy (Daisy) and also because he really isn’t that great. This stuff writes itself!

6 Likes

Just wait until someone at Disney remembers they also own the rights to a bunch of Quentin Tarantino projects.

muppet-adaptation-1 muppet-adaptation-2

2 Likes

Next the Muppets should do:

Lord Jim
Lady Chatterley’s Lover
Naked Lunch
At the Mountains of Madness
The Downtown Diaries (sequel to the Basketball Diaries)

1 Like

Hopefully it will see more success than the Flash version that was released.

2 Likes

But how to work in the significance of the green light? There must be something frog-related one could reference.

2 Likes

Muppet Treasure Island pulls no punches.

1 Like

So if I’m reading this correctly: if it bookends a musical number, it’s ok?