The Great Sulphur Pyramids of Alberta

You do NOT want to be downwind or downriver of them things.

Ah, the old Butterdome.

1 Like

Probably better we call it the Butterdome here rather than the Sulpherdome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Go Canada!

Here’s a picture I took while at Syncrude in 2011. Fricken’ huge…

3 Likes

Everybody is making things in Minecraft!

3 Likes

But… why 3 of them? It seems such a waste of space, when 1 or 2 would likely suffice for a very long time.

Unless the point is that they don’t want to be too conspicuous on the skyline, but I’d argue that it’s a bit late for that.

An invention, Doctor. First potassium nitrate, and now if he can find some sulphur and a charcoal deposit or ordinary coal.

1 Like

Isn’t sulfur flammable?

Why would they go much higher? There would be stability and stacking/unstacking logistic issues to deal with. Wouldn’t they just start a new one once they get to a certain height, like they apparently have done several times previously?

If they are going to be making these bigger, i think a little bit of artistry would be appreciated by everyone.

2 Likes

Soaking in sulfur hot springs is said to be therapeutic. Doesn’t even really smell bad if it’s outdoors. You don’t want to drink that water though.

From one of my early college chemistry texts:

"Most elemental sulfur is obtained as a by-product of the petroleum industry. This huge mound of sulfur was produced by the reaction of hydrogen sulfide and sulfur dioxide. The golden staircase rising through the mound symbolizes the progress that you will make in chemistry as you work through this text.

o_0

Lovely.

1 Like

Considering the environmental disaster that is oil sands mining I wouldn’t be so sure of this.

3 Likes

I’m not defending the oil sands industry as a preferred source of energy; and the environmental issues surrounding the GHG emissions are very real. The local environmental impacts may be a bit overblown in some areas, however.

Allegations of river and groundwater contamination are contested and may be exaggerated. There is evidence that hydrocarbons have been leaching into water-ways for millennia, regardless of oil-sands extraction. In one bizarre sense, extracting the oil from the sand is sort of a “clean-up”.

The scale of the operations is vast by mining standards and they are extremely ugly, but the total active area is still smaller than the incremental amount by which the city of Toronto expands every year.

Rehabilitation of the tailings (sand from which the oil is removed) is difficult and it takes a long time (years) for the sands to re-consolidate so that revegetation is possible. In the meantime they’re pretty nasty more-or-less dead bogs. Bird kills (birds land on what looks to be a firm surface and get stuck) are an ongoing issue.

1 Like

Assuming it will still be there in 4k yrs, they’re missing a great opportunity for long term storage rental.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.