The greatest piano solo of all time?

sweet!

3 Likes

Great tune, terrific playing, but the disconnect between the sound and the visuals drives me crazy.

Have thought about the similarity too. Like Bourrdain there is an obvious love and passion in his field and he has the credentials! Also the big one for me is a passion for sharing that love.

Beato has been railing against the corporate copyright holders of music that take down his Youtube video’s which actually widen the audience and appreciation of music that would otherwise have a very narrow market.

He is one of the good ones.

2 Likes

I was enjoying it alright and could deal with him talking over the recording to point things out, not him pausing the solo to make comments. It would be much better to present the whole solo first without commentary, then go through again with analysis.

4 Likes

I’ll always upvote Bud… this is an interesting choice for his greatest performance!

2 Likes

Yeah, I often feel like Don Music when I try to play…

(The kids have been taking lessons for 8 years; I (formally) started about 3 years ago when the instructor offered a discount for parents.)

As for shifting styles, I’d like to put in a mention of Jaki Byard:

4 Likes

I listened to my entire jazz collections during covid and during this song is when i realized it’s the best piano solo i know of. It is really just pure soloing. No technical showing off, just playing and creating, drifting out of bounds just a bit and reeling it back in. It feels “in the zone” to me.

1 Like

My favorite ballad of his (for now anyway) isthis one; the emotion, esp. on that sudden key change into the bridge, always gets me

1 Like

It may not be as technically challenging as the oscar peterson joint but this is always my go-to jazz piano video

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.