The hands and minds behind The Boxtrolls

You say you recognize my concerns, that’s great. Except, we didn’t get a chance to explain before seeing the film. We had to sit there, as a family, as the horrible, negative stereotypes rolled onscreen and got worse and worse. You didn’t have to sit there with my transgendered spouse, wincing every time the villain was in drag. Wanting desperately to walk out, but not wanting to disappoint the children or cause a scene in the theater. So you can recognize my concern all you want and try to soothe it away, but you can kind of stuff it. Your concern is pretty useless since all you’re trying to say is “it wasn’t that bad”. Well, it was.

Additionally, your argument seems to be entirely based on the idea that it’s just a stereotype. However, stereotypes are NOT harmless, and in fact, many people are harmed by them. Gays, trans people, dumb blondes, minorities. Stereotypes exist, certainly, that doesn’t at all reduce the damage caused by them. Stereotypes cause people to harm others, actively. Look up some statistics on the amount of transgendered individuals or crossdressers who get beaten up or killed because some dumbass thought they were coming on to them. Or worse, just for being there. Hell, Eddie Izzard, whom you mention, was beaten up quite badly, just for being a transvestite. My spouse is terrified of that prospect. It’s not funny, it’s reality.

You also say the character isn’t “designed to be trans” well that argument doesn’t hold water at all. IF he was just “in disguise” - then why the flirting with hetero men and the innuendo? That right there goes beyond a disguise. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like one, then sister, you need to stop being an apologist for this film and just accept there are others with a different viewpoint.

1 Like

Quit preaching at me, and get of your high horse.
I know damn well Eddie Izzard was beaten up.
I’m the same freaking person (the ONLY person) who bothered to post Panti Noble’s talk about homophobia. THAT is who you’re bitching at.

I have already said (repeatedly) that viewpoints will differ. I posted BECAUSE viewpoints will differ, and it really does seem to me that you are seeing a duck where there’s a goose. Sometimes a disguise is JUST A DISGUISE.

Sometimes (like in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes) the stereotype isn’t even there.

So, you post a video about a drag queen asking for compassion and understanding, and yet dismiss my assertion that they (Laika) were wrong for making the villain into an evil crossdresser, and that it should be seen as “just a disguise”. Nice.

1 Like

You first, and last, dismissed me with that one bitter word “Nice.”

I didn’t dismiss you - not at all. I tried to talk to you.
In response, you started to tell me what I should think, and dismiss my views as “abstract reasoning”. They really aren’t - I don’t see that villain as a trans character anymore than Mrs. Doubtfire was. You asked why the villain would act his apart around the men of the town? It’s for exactly the same reason that Williams’ character did - he was hiding his identity.

What I said is that my opinion is not yours, and I have already said on this page - several times now - that people won’t agree about this. I don’t expect to change your mind - I haven’t once said I could.

I did point out that your personal experience may be coloring your perception of this instance - because it very may well be. I wasn’t trying to be snarky with the toast picture. I was providing an example. Only certain people will “see” the Virgin Mary in that toast unprompted.

So, to recap: No one dismissed you. No one told you how you should perceive the character - I only said how I do. (Which is a totally fair point of view.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.