The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

4 Likes

I came across this movie recently, shot in Cinemiracle wide-screen. I’d love to watch it (even on a normal TV) but haven’t yet found a way to do so, legal or il-.

I wonder whether an IMAX cinema would be able to screen something like this in its original glory?

5 Likes

3 Likes

9 Likes

I’ve loved this film since seeing it on USA’s Saturday Nightmares. (My Blu-Ray is currently back in my apartment (presumably)).

Ever since I’ve known it, Kanopy has had cult films. A goodly assortment of Italian horrors and more than a dozen Jean Rollin, just for example.

4 Likes

I cloned this from the Florida Man goes to sea thread because this would be too far off-topic even for me.

First I came up with the lame joke that this probably means that Michael Peña could just as well have ended up as Mike Rock on the movie posters. Then it reminded me of something I noticed thumbing through Halliwell’s (9th edition) the other day: work names. And then I realized yes, not that long ago, most likely he would have been given a new name by his studio or his agent, “because that’s how it works”.

4 Likes

Swiped because I love this movie.

7 Likes

not sure how I’m only now finding this thread…

2 Likes

The Manchurian Candidate

watched this in college with my buddy Zach. he insisted we watch it when it came on TV because, under the same circumstances back home, his father, a Red Forman type but from Tennessee, insisted that Zach watch it with him. presumably Zach and I smoked a lot more weed during the film than he and his dad.

maybe Sinatra’s best dramatic role, or at least tied with From Here to Eternity. but TMC is the better film overall, and FHTE is great.

3 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

“We’re all going to be together in the dark, watching The Sign of the Cross. A movie full of fire, sex, and the death of Christians. What fun.”
-(Possessed) Sister Mary Eunice McKee- American Horror Story-Asylum

3 Likes

You have to check out the 5 hour version of “Until the End of the World”. Best watched as a TV series in 3 or more distinct parts/viewings. Great road movie, great soundtrack, gratuitous Sam Neil and Max von Sydow. Not a masterpiece, but a great movie to watch when social distancing.

5 Likes

His Notebook on Cities and Clothes is glorious.

3 Likes

11 Likes
1 Like

Only at Christmas? :slight_smile: As far as I can tell if you pick the right Regionalsender, it’s on somewhere throughout the year. MDR seems to show a Märchenfilm at least once a day and even with the East German and Czech film industries massive efforts in the 50s and 60s, there are only so many to go round.

1 Like

It’s Russian sci-fi weekend, well, my weekend anyway.

6 Likes

There is a sequel to Attraction coming soon, also a film of the classic Russian SF novel We:

4 Likes

which is a trippy enough read about a society with no privacy.
A very good quality epub can be had for free as well.

4 Likes