The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

I saw the Grey Fox in the theater and rewatched a couple years ago.
it was my introduction to Farnsworth, I think. I know he was in The Natural around then but I think I remember saying to myself “oh, there’s the grey fox” when I saw him in the dugout.
TGF is the perfect showpiece for his acting. apparently, IRL, the trainrobber he plays is the originator of the phrase “hands up!” which is now used by cops and robbers, which is pretty cool when you think about it.

4 Likes

I’ve seen Suspiria years ago and don’t really remember neither it nor the soundtrack, but Goblin also did Argento’s Profundo Roso and that soundtrack is awesome.

3 Likes

How do you think it compares to the Three Colors trilogy? I’ve been re-watching that as of late.

3 Likes

Have you gotten to the third film yet?

1 Like

“Based on” can mean many things in Hollywood. So, regarding the TGF epilogue, looking up “Bill Miner” on wiki provides a different end for old Bill; I read it and wept. :wink: Per the TGF producer (bonus on the bluray) Bill’s onscreen friendship with Kate took on an unplanned, unscripted trajectory that required further dialogue and scenes. Personally, I think that addition to the story prompted a happy ending, although fictional.

1 Like

No, it’s next in the DVD queue.

1 Like

The Thief Who Never Gave Up - because I’m a sucker for good animation and …

…well, of course, the film’s title is The Thief and The Cobbler, but because I saw “Richard Williams and the Thief Who Never Gave Up” donkey’s years ago (it’s a documentary about how Richard Williams - one of the most talented animators of the last century struggled to complete his life’s work) and was hooked on wanting to see the finished film. I only did so many years later thanks to YouTube.

5 Likes

Have you seen these:

10 Likes

Another good one…

7 Likes

The third one suffers from too much time passing between films. Weakest of the three. But I love Inferno (#2). The submerged apartment scene is just all kinds of creepy. Italian horror directors always knew how to make New York look spooky and threatening.

3 Likes

Interesting! At the start I worried it’d take away from the movie… but once I got all keyed up along with it, it made a bit more sense.

1 Like

I didn’t want to say anything, but yeah, it’s extremely weak. It’s got its defenders and I may give it another chance some day. To be fair, the one time I saw it I saw the R-rated Blockbuster edition, but I doubt more grue would have really helped.

It’s got some striking images, though, but they’re pretty fleeting in the actual film.

2 Likes

God, just watched Kaufman’s I’m thinking of Ending Things… what an insufferable, pretentious piece of shit.

3 Likes

Thank you, had it queued on my list. One less to suffer through.

2 Likes

I really did not enjoy it at all. It didn’t really ask any probing questions into the human conditions that have not been asked, nor did it do anything to help us understand how men and women interact (except that women are expected to sacrifice for men).

2 Likes

You should watch his recent Google Talk. A whole lot of smug shoulder shrugging.

2 Likes

The Illusionist, yes. Not A Cat in Paris, thanks for the recommendation - I’ll add it to my xmas list.
Ref The Illusionist, from the same director, this is also brilliant but I bought the DVD as “Belleville Rendez-vous” so you may find it under that title, too.

9 Likes

Last night’s movie. Great lead (first-time) actor, awesome Georgian dancing, good stick in the eye to the toxic masculinity of Tradition.

:+1:

6 Likes

I saw that on TV as Belleville Rendezvous and yes, it’s brilliant.

I’d also recommend A Town Called Panic which is just hilarious, total bonkers animation with little toy figures.

8 Likes

I have decided to go back and read Er ist wieder da, because, well… the obvious. Something reminds me of it about every other day this year.

There’s also a decent film made from the book that might be of interest:

2 Likes