The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

Yes, I suspect the ‘Triplets’ title may have been for USA, but in UK and rest of Europe it remained Belleville Rendez-vous.

Also, I watched The Boxtrolls, the other day. Great stuff. I seem to recall the existential debate in the end title sequence (no spoilers but DO watch all the end credits if you see this film!) was the subject of a post on BB, but I may have imagined that.

4 Likes

We’ve watched ToB… spectacular on BR!

1 Like

Lots of great scenes in that. The one that always gets me is where that one character instantly slurps down the coffee and yells out “Superb!!” The French accent adds to the hilarity!

2 Likes

oh dear… I bounced off that film so hard.

I’m interpreting that as a negative (the ‘oh dear’ indicated that) not being sure what ‘bounced off’ means. Shame. You probably won’ like The Illusionist either, then.

as in - I started watching it and about ten minutes in gave up in complete bewilderment.

I should probably try it again some day - anything that mystifies me so completely must have some redeeming feature I’m missing.

That one and “Horse isn’t very good at the piano, is he?”

*hoof smash

1 Like

Ah. It does repay sticking with it, but it does need a bit of concentration/close observation as there is so very little dialogue (i.e. pretty much none). It’s all in the gestures and actions of the characters. Do give it another go - it’s been a while since I watched it but it may be that you didn’t really get past the set-up, if it was only about 10 mins in.

2 Likes

Third one kinda sucks

1 Like

We have yet to see TCT. It sounds like we’ll have to correct that oversight. :grinning:

1 Like

OMG Trois Couleurs is so good! I still haven’t seen Dekalog yet, but Bleu Blanc and Rouge are 3 of the best films ever triple exclamation points!!!

Also Double Life of Veronique is amazing!

Kieślowski was an astoundingly talented filmmaker who died too young.

8 Likes

Hey Mindysan what do you think of the Susperia remake? I mostly liked it and I want to show it to Pussycat but she gets weird about horror and violence sometimes. I never know if a scary movie is going to meet with her approval. I’m not sure she’d make it through the contortionist scene. But she loves Tilda Swinton!

3 Likes

I’m extremely skeptical about a Suspiria remake working, 1) because the original is already such a great film and 2) what made the original work wasn’t exactly the plot, it was the style and the original style is what usually gets lost in remakes, but Stacie “Final Girl” Ponder practically worships the film, so maybe there’s something to it.

2 Likes

I enjoyed it! Part of the reason we’re watching the classic trilogy is because my teenager loved the remake film. After seeing the original and Inferno, tho, she decided that she wished the director of the remake had kept the color palate of the original, since it’s so great.

Tilda Swinton is always a yes from me, but damn it’s a brutal and violent movie, too.

5 Likes

Thanks! I can now second the rec for this. Great fun!

Lovely animation, and music. Kid friendly, and I loved it too. (I watched a version with English voices, they were great.)

5 Likes

My buy-list is taking a chonky trajectory.

4 Likes

On that note, one of Judy Garland’s later efforts. Fake French cats.

The movie which ended Chuck Jones’s career at Warner Brothers. (He violated his employment contract to work on it)

4 Likes

I remember that one as being a pretty decent musical (as far as animation goes).

BTW: My mom had the honor — thrill actually – of being kissed by Robert Goulet! That happened at the Broadway showing of The Happy Time; Goulet headlined it, and a crowd lined up to see him up close and say hi. My mom crowed about it for awhile. I don’t recall my dad’s reaction to that.

2 Likes

Criterion chonk is worth it

8 Likes

he’s such a good sport about his career as the archetypical lounge act. his cameo in Atlantic City is wonderful.

3 Likes