The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

This Is The Navy Weaponry That Top Gun 2’s Box Office Haul Could Buy

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/top-gun-maverick-has-made-16-super-hornets-worth-of-box-office-cash
Top Gun: Maverick has made a carrier-load of money. Here’s what Navy aircraft, ships, and munitions it could buy.

1 Like

All kinds of surprising, including (for me) the fact that Brando bothered to learn how to speak French.

7 Likes

I finally got around to watching The Long Song. After seeing traumatic series like The Underground Railroad and Them, I wish I had seen this one first (or instead, saving myself hours of unicorn chasers and other brain bleach). I still can’t believe it covered so much ground in just three episodes! It was thoughtful, funny, and sad - deftly displaying the worst and the best of human nature, with an uplifting ending:

7 Likes

His wife at the time, Tarita Teriipaia (assuming this video was made after 1962) was French Polynesian.
They met on the set of Mutiny on the Bounty.

So it would not be too unusual that he picked up some of the language.

7 Likes

Weighing Options GIF

Also, are we about to hit peak Gaiman? :thinking:

5 Likes

A young woman attempts to regain control of her body in a future where social media and the State operate as one.

5 Likes

An interesting film about the difficulties involved in bridging race and class divisions:

ETA: Available on Kanopy.

5 Likes

Looks interesting!

I watched this last night, which is based on the graphic novel…

I’m not a huge DC fan, especially Superman stuff, but I liked the cold war context of this, and thinking about what would it be like if Superman had landed in the Soviet Union instead of the US… I really like Wonder Woman in it who as ambassador from Thermyscria and canonically queer. Batman as an anarchic terrorist is pretty great, too.

5 Likes
9 Likes

Interestingly “offbrand” Hitchcocks, The Wrong Man, Marnie and Under Capricorn.

But no Corman!

ETA: Then again, no Whale or Browning and they ignore Tourneur’s and Hitchcock’s horror classics, so apparently not a fan of the genre.

4 Likes

For anyone who would be interested in Lolla but wisely does not wish to be there in person, Hulu will livestream it this weekend:

5 Likes

So I finally got around to watching RRR.

Very much over the top, as you would expect (and hope for) from an Indian action movie. But it has an engaging story, good music and I might have shed a tear or two towards the end.

If nothing else, you have to watch the central dance scene.

However, I especially enjoyed the reaction its international success has elicited in the right wing British press.

The misguided article in question:

As a German I have long ago learned that seeing your compatriots as the bad guys in historical movies doesn’t diminish the enjoyment of the movie if they actually were the bad guys. Maybe with time the British will learn that as well when it comes to the empire.

10 Likes

Isn’t that always true with Bollywood?

flirty wink GIF

7 Likes

“The author of this piece is literally called rob tombs”

Chuckle chuckle.

6 Likes

It is, but this happens to be a Telugu movie. Tollywood, if you will.

5 Likes

Oh, cool, I didn’t realize that, thanks!

4 Likes

Reminder that this is coming out…

Still seems fucking trashy as hell and exploitative as hell.

6 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

This film, France, reminded me of Broadcast News with an “infotainment” twist:

5 Likes