The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

Powerful, vital, important, especially now.

7 Likes

This is a pretty amazing film…

Just… watch it…

7 Likes

It’s rare that a horror movie gets under my skin, and especially so when it’s a micro-budget affair done in a mockumentary/found footage format. But 2015’s Savageland has stuck with me since I first saw it a few years ago. I looked it up recently, and lo and behold it’s available in its entirety for free on YouTube! Looking to be creeped out for the foreseeable future? Check it out (for full effect, no Googling). I’ll accept full responsibility if it keeps you up at night.

1 Like
11 Likes

How she was treated that night and going forward was despicable. And she wasn’t even allowed to read the speech Brando had written, so most people watching had no idea what she was talking about.

So glad she is finally getting the recognition she deserved.

7 Likes
1 Like
6 Likes

If you grew up in the 90s and watched Sailor Moon, there was apparently a planned Americanized version that never made it on TV… A youtuber made a documentary about it (in two parts)…

3 Likes

4 Likes
6 Likes

Something interesting this way comes. To be released later this year. Apparently, a success at the Venice Film Festival. Has anyone here read the book the film is based on?

(source: Collider) The movie… follows two adrift cannibals who find unlikely romance in their mutual hunger for the flesh…

3 Likes

Finally got around to watching Free Fire:

Which is Ben Wheatley’s most normal film…

And also saw Spiderhead this weekend:

I enjoyed them both!

7 Likes

But for one exception, looks like indoor paintball.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Recently watched Honor Society, which was very funny:

It was uplifting after Infinite :unamused::

I preferred Chiwetel Ejiofor’s performance in The Old Guard:

6 Likes

I thought the set up for the book was great, absolutely fantastic (Man of Steel [Stalin] lands in a collective farm in Ukraine rather than Kansas! Lots of lovely suprematist art stylings for graphics - obviously Soviet art turned to shit but they mostly went with the early good stuff), but then the rest of the book wandered into the minutiae of Superman lore (I didn’t even know all the returning supervillains). Which kind of made sense as it was something of a calling card to the comics industry.

It was a bit like JJ Abrams for me. He knows how to get the pieces on the board and explain to you what they do. Can’t play a game to fucking save his life. Boring once the “story” gets going.

4 Likes

Watched this with the childer:

It’s got a talking cat. The cat had a… weird Scottish accent but that was actually a clever plot point so cool. Did I mention it has a talking cat? That’s it. If your children and you will watch anything with a talking cat in it you will also watch this.

It’s not a patch on this though:

I saw this the other week:

And I’m frankly amazed it isn’t better known. I suspect it would have been up for the round of festivals and art houses when everything closed up which is a real shame. It isn’t a smooth narrative, leaping episodically into situations and sometimes leaving you to figure out what happened in between (perhaps echoing the confusion and lack of knowledge of the people in it as ethnic violence based on Belgian imperialist differentiation of population groups and creation of winners and losers in imperialism - which every empire does without fail by the way - starts to turn their world nightmarish) but it’s terrifying as it ratchets up.

But also beautiful and beautifully acted and shot. The central African misty light, particularly on people is sublime. As it is set in a nun’s school in the early 70s most of the characters are women and the men in it are largely secondary or if powerful off screen.

And this is well known, but deservedly so. It should be a really hard sell. A three hour long Japanese film mostly about people rehearsing Checkov (in different languages to each other at the same time) but I found it very watchable throughout and gradually gotintensely moving. Really brilliant.

ETA.
This is also really well known this year and I thoroughly recommend it.

It’s usually described as a dark romcom and I must admit to being the person in our house who has tolerance for romcoms so maybe that’s part of how I enjoyed it. It’s about first world problems of a white woman negotiating adult life in Oslo. It’s funny, sad, annoying (because life is) and a fantastic watch.

6 Likes

Thanks, it’s already been a long week, so i could go for something light but good. Honor Society looks good for that.

@robertmckenna, i agree that Worst Person and Drive My Car are wonderful, though i MUCH prefer the former. I think it’s sublime and beautiful in ways that have stuck with me far more than much of anything in Worst Person.

4 Likes

Wait: the former is Worst Person and the latter is Drive My Car. Are you saying you preferred Drive My Car?

4 Likes

Oops! Right, former should be latter there. Yes, I preferred Drive My Car.

5 Likes