The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

That’s an excellent film. I love her taking out the drone in it!

5 Likes

That was great… The chase scenes were great too. Plus, I loved how the musicians became characters through the film.

3 Likes

On that note I recommend a classic, Battle of Algiers. (Available on HBO Max).

Also an immersive pseudorealist drama about social unrest.

1 Like

Yessssssss!!!

Maybe you added it to your list back in October? :wink:

2 Likes

Quite possibly! I will sometimes do that, and forget I added it and where I got the suggestion from until it shows up!

So thanks!!!

3 Likes

No prob, good to be reminded of it again.

That also led me to look at posts I’d done even longer ago. So many movies I recommended that I now can’t remember the first thing about!

Alcohol Memory GIF by funk

4 Likes

I attempted to watch Athena this evening. Way too violent and nihilistic for me.

4 Likes

I’ve quit keeping up with movie news, so I can surprise myself sometimes. For instance last night- I didn’t know anything at all about this movie, but I when I see Mia Goth, I click:

Terrible poster, but the opening credits are sick, the first scene stylishly directed and the score ominously disturbing. I’m all in, expecting a classier Hostel type movie.

Then it gets freaky.

I sez to myself I sez “This just got downright Cronenbergian!”

Then it keeps getting freakier.

Long story short, after a decent into violent twisted brutal depravity, I gets to the end credits and I sees “Written and directed by Brandon Cronenberg”

“Well there you go,” I sez.

Also the fantastic score is by the brilliant electronic musician Tim Hecker. Check it out - if you can cope with freaky stuff!

1 Like

I can understand that. You definitely don’t want to watch Infinity Pool!

2 Likes

I was thinking that while reading your review!

3 Likes

Rooney Mara and Ben Whishaw are fantastic. Yes, nothing happens, it’s just the women debating what to do, but it’s absolutely engaging. Democracy in action against a seemingly all powerful authoritarianism. My early criticism of the overly desaturated color pallet is rendered void as I contemplate the reality of these women’s situation: obviously all the color is gone from their world.

It’s quite a contrast from how the boys in Athena dealt with the unjust violation perpetrated by the oppressive society they are trapped in.

Discuss!

5 Likes

I’d watch, but my only option seems to be 19.99 rental on Amazone.

Grumpy Cat No GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival

3 Likes

Guess who scored a free ticket to “The Quiet Girl”??!! My daughter had pull with someone from Trinity so she’ll be watching in NYC while I’m watching in Chicago.

7 Likes

Napoleon Dynamite GIF by Ben L

4 Likes

Random cool thing:

12 Likes

Thanks! I will have to see it once it drops to regular rental or shows up on one of my subs. I have loved everything Sarah Polley has done, but the subject matter is so harrowing that I was worried it might be more than I could take these days. The negative press that I had seen seemed rooted in misogyny (both towards the subject matter and Polley).

5 Likes

I was looking it up on a site and the comments… the comments made me feel sick and hurt. So terrible, you make a nice thing for the world and men show up to turn it into an opportunity to belittle and hurt. We loved Stories we tell by her and watched Alias Grace partially because of that but I’m afraid that didn’t stick with us.

5 Likes

Stories We Tell is a remarkable movie - hard to live up to that standard :slightly_smiling_face:. Also, you really only get one story like that in your life!

Away From Her is also wonderful, though sad. An extremely moving story about love, loss, and acceptance.

5 Likes

They did an interview with the director this week on Here and Now… No spoilers and worth a listen. They discuss his decision to make this an Irish language film, among other things…

I’m looking forward to seeing this one! Let us know how it is…

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

6 Likes

My daughter will get that privilege, as she’ll be at the NYC premiere. We’ll have a discussion and all in Chicago, but not the full roster of VIPs from the film.

6 Likes