The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

I was expecting something slightly different in the plot, I’m glad it wasn’t what I expected.

Trailer implied to me that they were rich and just bought the line to Santa, not the accident that happened

4 Likes

I loved the girl’s Home-Alone-but-R-rated traps!

3 Likes

I am so stoked for this. A Michael Mann (!!!) film about Enzo Ferrari. Lots of classic (read: so fucking unsafe to drive) race cars, with Adam Driver as master-manipulator-of-drivers Enzo, and Penélope Cruz as his wife, Laura.

2 Likes

Deliciously bizarre. A bit long, but really pays off in the end.

5 Likes

A list of films about work and labor…

4 Likes
4 Likes

the 47-year-old says

That’s got to be an older article… he’s in his 50s now, I’m relatively sure… plus all the pictures seem to be from prior to his heart attack and weight loss? :thinking:

Ah!

A version of this article appears in the September 4, 2017, issue of New York Magazine.

3 Likes

It’s an older article, but it checks out :wink:

2 Likes

It does! I was just confused when I read 47… it’s a good article.

3 Likes

On our watch pile for a few weeks now; trying to make time.

2 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

I hate to say it, but Wes Anderson movies just aren’t doing it for me anymore. Quirky characters doing quirky things is not a plot…

6 Likes

Pussycat loved it, says it’s her favorite one yet. I slept through most of it.

4 Likes

Yep, I loved Rushmore back in the day, but his movies have fussy-looking snoozefests for me ever since.

5 Likes

His movies haven’t interested me much at all lately, but getting a free copy of Asteroid City turned out pretty favorable because both my wife and I ended up enjoying it. Despite many of the same tired Anderson-isms that seem inescapable at this point.

3 Likes

I did rather enjoy the first 30 minutes or so and was really hoping for it to turn into something akin to Moonrise Kingdom, but nothing of the sort really materialized. The focus just kept getting yanked away to something else. And meanwhile key plot developments happened off-screen during the one-week interlude…

3 Likes
3 Likes

Speaking of decomposition… :smirk:

9 Likes

That’s the head Hitchcock used for his cameo at the beginning of Frenzy as a body floating down the Thames.

7 Likes