The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

Just finished Still, A Michael J Fox Movie.
A couple of things popped out at me.

1. Of course his current physical condition is heartbreaking. He did the movie while he is still physically able to speak for long periods of time.
  2. Something extremely unusual for a Hollywood/TV actor. Only married once and is still with same person for 35+ years.
  3. He looked 5 years younger than his peers as a teenager
1 Like

Another great one, I thought, by Kelley Reichert, Showing Up, with another stunning performance by Michelle Williams. Some good art on display too, and a nice turn by Andre 3000. Didn’t know he acts, and so well!

New Yorker review:

https://archive.md/Tc1e9

2 Likes

I like Kelly Reichardt so I’ll be watching. Andre 3000 is in Claire Denis’s High Life which I always recommend to fans of Solaris, Silent Running, Moon kind of movies.

I love it but it starts with Robert Pattinson bringing up a baby/toddler in a spaceship on his own which is kind of frustrating/boring like you can imagine.

2 Likes

Yes! I think I brought up High Life in the thread about the list of 150 great sci fi flicks, forgot that he’s in it. I never did check to see if it’s on there, but its being directed by a women (a French one at that) made it seem unlikely. :angry:

1 Like

I didn’t read all the list but I remember it being there.

1 Like

If anyone reading thinks “you’re right, sounds boring” the movie also has Juliette Binoche running a masturbation pod machine and crazy Mia Goth getting “spaghetti-fied” in a black hole.

1 Like

Yeah, La Binoche really, really chews the scenery in it!

Great fun. And she does way more freaky shit than the Heath Robinson space age masturbation machine room.

2 Likes

I really liked Anatomy of a Fall, which isn’t really a murder mystery, and isn’t really a courtroom drama.

Awesome when a film lives up to its hype!

5 Likes

[Megalopolis (film) - Wikipedia]

[Francis Ford Coppola’s ‘Megalopolis’ Might Actually Come Out this Year. Here’s Everything We Know | GQ]

[A $120 Million Movie That’s Been In The Works For 40 Years Is 2024’s Riskiest Sci-Fi (screenrant.com)]

3 Likes

You might know the Irish actor Pierce Brosnan from his stint in the Bond universe or his titular role in the detective series Remington Steele. Or you might simply know him as Robin Williams’ antagonist in Mrs. Doubtfire. However you know him, chances are you know that he is one fine hunk of man, and this has been true throughout the entirety of his very long and surprisingly robust career.

But what you might not know is that Brosnan got his start in quite a sexy way. His first onscreen role wasn’t as a British detective or a Cold Way spy, but as a sultry IRA agent-cum-honey trap in the groundbreaking British gangster film The Long Good Friday.

John Mackenzie’s 1980 gangster flick was important for a few distinct reasons: not only was it the film that put rising actor Bob Hoskins on the map, it was one of the first features that earned serious acclaim for its production company, ex-Beatle George Harrison’s Handmade Films. Originally started as a kind of lark in order to help his pals, the men of Monty Python, get financing for their Biblical send-up Life of Brian , Handmade Films quickly made good on its promise to produce risky, exciting, gritty British films that the major studios were too conservative to take a chance on.

5 Likes

I didn’t even know he’s in the long Good Friday which you should watch for Bob Oskins of course.

4 Likes

Brosnan is only in the very beginning and end and has no lines.

2 Likes

Ooo? Bob? E’s all over it mate!

2 Likes

I edited my prior post for clarity.

2 Likes

Also, Helen Mirren, Eddie Constantine and a lot of others.
(But you don’t do that to a Rolls-Royce motorcar.)

It’s also an interesting time capsule of London in the late 1970ies, especially around the river.

6 Likes

Two recent-ish gangster flicks of note:

Marvelous Midge with a gun and a baby? It’s not what you might expect. This one is all from the POV of a mob wife who doesn’t know anything about what’s going on. Very tense and believable, with excellent production design that looks authentic early ‘70’s - not the cartoon stuff you usually see. Top notch all around.

Believably quirky Dixie mafia story from a writer-directer-star who is actually from Arkansas. Well directed, solid performances - and a killer soundtrack of country songs covered by the Flaming Lips.

I highly recommended both these to fans of mafia crime thrillers who want to see something told from a different perspective than usual.

4 Likes

Prime Cut is another good gangster picture outside of the usual settings, instead set in the US Midwest. Lee Marvin and Sissy Spacek in her first lead.

I believe I’ve mentioned Get Carter here upthread, which is a great gangster picture which, as a Hollywood wide release, was unusual then for being set in the North of England. Michael Caine. a 1970s version of what Guy Ritchie wishes his films were. nothing wrong with Ritchie but after seeing GC, his stuff is obviously second rate.

EDIT: guess I’ll throw in White Lightning to the list. pulpy Southern gangster stuff staring Burt Reynolds. not exactly cinema but very entertaining. in the sequel, Gator, he returns but it’s a prison corruption plot, but I guess that’s also gangsterism

3 Likes

[Controversial Jerry Lewis film to screen in public for first time after 52 years (thenationalnews.com)]

[The French Film Critic Who Saw Jerry Lewis’s Infamous Holocaust Movie—and Loved It | Vanity Fair]

2 Likes

Oh crap! I love that movie!

Cool Ass Cinema: Prime Cut (1972) review

2 Likes

:thinking:

3 Likes