The iMac was Apple's savior in the 1990s

I am aware. My current phone not only lacks a headphone jack, but it also has a dumbass hole punch display. I do hope you’re not implying that Samsung copycatting Apple’s design choices says anything about the merits of said design choices. Like I said, I don’t understand how Apple keeps getting away with it.

1 Like

I won a first-edition “bondi blue” iMac in an essay contest when I was studying abroad as an exchange student. I even got to fly to the capital and get my photo taken with the Minister of Education. That computer had a lot of silly design choices but I still loved the thing, only gave it away when I couldn’t upgrade it any further.

1 Like

5 Likes

Worst thing about the iMac

4 Likes

I seem to recall reading that the iMac was nearly called the MacMan and that Steve Jobs in particular did not like iMac for the name and wanted MacMan and pushed hard for it. (I guess it’s from Ken Segall’s book about the iMac G3)

I can imagine Jobs getting in a shouting fight with someone over that. This is the person who made them redesign the NeXT assembly factory so the line went a different direction past the management overlook to correct the feng shui.

I feel like people made fun of the i-Nomenclature a lot and at the same time, it’s really stuck. It’s still the iPhone, iPad, and iOS.

1 Like

Heh, I thought this head on the 7200 motherboard was called the MacMan ( I swear I remember it being called that but can’t find any references quick on google right now)

12137314596_782a480b3d_o

1 Like

I’m a Mac user from waaaaay back and that mouse is in fact the worst thing. It was just garbage. My current wireless mouse is the Magic Mouse, which many people still seem to hate because you charge it from the underside, but fuck 'em, I love it — I’m on my second one, only because I used the first one until it gave up in despair, and it’s the best mouse I’ve ever owned.

2 Likes

Back in the day I had a super long shank screwdriver with a Torx T15 bit that I had to use to crack that case open.

I’ve never seen the “official” tool before.

Mrs. Ficus had a flower power iMac back in the day. We still have it, but it’s since changed to serve a different purpose:

11 Likes

It wasn’t the design that was an issue but users hitting the eject button when the device was still working. In making the Lisa and the original Mac this was supposed to protect the user.

Zip drives were from Iomega and had the eject button. Same with a lot of CD burners. So I think you mean the 3.5" disks.

1 Like

Yes exactly. The PCs and clones of the time had no problem letting you yank a 5.25" out of the drive mid-write, even. It was a safety/anti corruption measure for sure.That maybe the software died somewhere along the way was a very real circumstance. The pain was real when a multi-disk install lock up around 50% of the disks down (or worse: 80-90%)

I always kept that one special unbent paper clip handy, and was prepared to reach around the side of the Mac to hit the physical reset switch.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.