The incredible performances of Bread and Puppet Theater

Originally published at: The incredible performances of Bread and Puppet Theater | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I highly recommend going to their museum — seeing the puppets and art up close is fantastic and the self-serve honor-system gift shop has a ton of great posters. It’s also a short drive from Hill Farmstead — generally considered the best brewery in the country.

6 Likes

Bread & Puppets’ production of “The Nativity, Crucifixion, and Resurrection of Archbishop Romero” was stellar.

I was fortunate (in my very early years) to work with the Toronto off-shoot, Whole Loaf Theatre, doing similar agit-prop pageantry theatre in the parks. David Anderson ran that and his work has since evolved into the justly lauded Clay & Paper Theatre troupe that yearly puts on park shows, festivals and other events. He’s a gem.

3 Likes

The Peas Twins have been performing with Red Wing Blackbird Theater here since they were ca. 6 years old. I never realized that the founder, Amy Trompetter, was a member of the original NYC Bread and Puppet until I saw her in the video! So cool.

I have never in my life had a reaction to a beer as strongly as the first time I had Hill. I had no context or expectation and it absolutely blew my mind. Hill Farmstead and The Alchemist are 100% responsible for the “New England” hazy IPA craze (please don’t judge based on the canned crap that bears that title; it is and should be a fresh beer).

4 Likes

Same here, although I wasn’t imbibing an NE IPA. I had never heard of Hill Farmstead before getting an Edward at Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier. After the first sip, I told my wife that it was the best beer I’d ever had. That would have been about 8-9 years ago and he’s only gotten better since then. Shaun Hill’s brewing skills are exceptional.

1 Like

4 Likes

I was lucky enough to see the performance of The iliad in the summer of 1994 on the farm in glover. Good times by all lots of homemade garlic bread and smaller performances throughout the day. All these years later and its still one of the most memorable live theater performances I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.