The lawyer said preserve all records. Sam Bankman-Fried hit delete instead

Christ, what an asshole.

3 Likes

Will destroying evidence be an additional charge?

2 Likes

They do. The question is always “if the evidence I’m destroying turned up in court, would it be worse for me than the worst the court is likely to do to me for destroying it?”.

In this case, it seems likely that SBF is already going down about as hard as can be expected for a white-collar crime committing rich white man so destroying evidence may be more about muddying up the location of where the money went and/or just the usual “I am not bound by your rules, weak mortals!1!1!1!” with a side order of “maybe I can still get away with it”.

The difficulty there is that financial frauds like this don’t tend to get prosecuted unless the prosecutors already have what they feel is sufficient evidence to get a result.

So by the time you know you’re under investigation, it’s probably too late.

8 Likes

No doubt at all.

From the Popehat interview linked above:

[Popehat] echoed my own suspicions: SBF seems so determined to dig himself a deeper hole by talking to journalists, writing blog posts, and sending private messages that the [United States Attorneys] may be hesitant to take away the proverbial shovel. “He’s so consistently incriminating himself, revealing things, making things worse for himself, possibly revealing information that leads them to new avenues of investigation, that they kind of thought ‘you know what, it’s in our interest for this dude to be out running his mouth,’”

edit: link hygiene

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.