The lawyer who caught UNC giving $2.5m to white nationalists orders the white nationalists to create a $2.5m fund for Black students or face a lawsuit

Depending on how things finally pan out, I see a juicy documentary film here.

[Chef’s kiss]

The lawyer’s letter doesn’t just allege DMCA abuse. It also argues that the court order settling the case between UNC and the SCV was procured by a fraud on the court (in that the SCV knew they didn’t have standing to bring the suit against the university and that the suit was a collusion to achieve a result that UNC and the SCV couldn’t achieve without the court getting involved).

So the threat is not just DMCA abuse, it’s also that he will attempt to overturn the transfer of the statue and $2.5m, and threatens sanctions against the other lawyers involved.

1 Like

It’s pretty well-known around the state that the current Board of Governors for the UNC system is packed with… shall we say, ‘less than unbiased’ members, and that they were very aggrieved that the court ruled that the statue had to go. This was just a backdoor method of giving taxpayer funds to a group who had no business receiving them. Or as @pymteh stated so well, “the suit was a collusion to achieve a result that UNC and the SCV couldn’t achieve without the court getting involved.” I hope Randazza achieves his goal, one way or another.

2 Likes

But it wasn’t taxpayer funds that they gave away.

Under the agreement, university officials will also make a $2.5 million trust to cover costs related to preserving the monument. The trust will not use state funds, the university statement said.

I wonder how their donors will feel about that?

Money is fungible. I am sure that, forensically, they can demonstrate that not one centime of public money will end up in the $2.5M. However with that $2.5M essentially being pissed up against the wall, public money will be needed to cover the valid educational expenses it (the donor’s $2.5M) could have been used for.

Like … uh … a new football coach, or resurfacing the running track, or scholarships for dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks sports jocks, or …

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.