The life of women samurai

Originally published at: The life of women samurai | Boing Boing

5 Likes

7 Likes

There is a few on the list. But yes, largely femme fatales in Asian cinema are from other martial arts traditions:

(I can only say for me that Lady Snowblood counts. There is some really bad entries on that list…)

2 Likes

“Nangita”? Naginata. Naginata - Wikipedia

“Tamai Gozen”? Tomoe Gozen.Tomoe Gozen - Wikipedia

Srsly.

9 Likes
3 Likes

It is important to note that from 1600 to 1867, there really were no battles in Japan, which meant that the samurai (though still expected to learn how to use a sword) became less and less like warriors and more and more like aristocratic bureaucrats involved in the administration of domains. As such, the lives of samurai during the Warring States Period were quite different from the lives of samurai during the Edo Period.

All of the cool battles happened before 1600, and (as was the case with the Wild West or the Age of Chivalry) a lot about the Warring States Period samurai comes to us through the romanticized lens of later ages.

12 Likes

Kon’nichiwa MoFo!

4 Likes

Thank you. He kept on saying it, and I started to wonder if I’d been pronouncing the word wrong all these years.

3 Likes

Woo Woo!

Go Takeko Nakano! See the butterly Mon (crest) on her armor? That’s my grandpa’s family crest! (crests are matrilineal in Japanese culture, so it’s not mine [Mine’s from grandma and mom]).

b3fde56613170923f15b6bfc45a303ed--woodblock-print-maki

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.