The Light Phone 2 is designed to be used as little as possible

1. I’d like this better if it were in a Razr form factor (yes, the “iconic” Motorola Razr V3). I’ve been trying to get LenovoMoto to see that all the excitement in the previous year when people thought they were going to make one means there’s real interest.
  2. What is really needed for ‘going light’ is the ability to clone my SIM card so I don’t have to move the card from phone to phone when I decide to use this one.

Without that, how are my nearby friends supposed to get push notifications about my tempo changes?

3 Likes

Hey, check out our simple hipster phone! It takes you out of exploitation by tech companies. That’s why it’s $200 and has Uber.

1 Like

Okay, while I love the idea (I’ve even been thinking of downgrading my phone to one of those re-released Nokias and carrying around a 4G hotspot for data just to get those, sweet, sweet, physical buttons back) the idea of paying $400 for the thing seems kind of absurd to me. They’re not giving a lot in the way of specifications here, so based on the stated purpose of the design I’m inclined to think that this isn’t much more than a baseband radio and a middling ARM CPU. Built at volume, the BOM is going to be well under even the $200–A Qualcomm Snapdragon costs about $25 per unit, a 4 inch e-paper display with a breakout board and everything you need to make it plug-and-play with RasPi or something of that ilk costs less than 30 bucks. There isn’t really much else to the thing, so given that, I’m guessing that once it’s all said and done these things probably end up costing about 50-75 dollars to have made and shipped here. There’s other costs involved like packaging and such, but at volume we’re talking a couple dollars at most. If the MSRP was $200, then maybe, but I’m not going to pay more than 4x as much for a thing that does 10x less.

1 Like

I went back to a flip phone after trying a smart phone for a couple years.

These crazy-expensive pocket-cluttering privacy disasters are probably the least reliable bits of technology I’ve ever used. If I’m going to have crappy call quality and crappy network coverage and an overly-busy display with minuscule text that I have to change glasses to read and battery life measured in hours, then I see no reason to buy a fragile $800 slab of surveillance that requires me to open an account with the corporation that created the operating system in addition to the one with the carrier that provides the criminally unreliable network connections and whose coverage area doesn’t include my home.

I’m seated in front of a powerful computer 12 to 14 hours a day, and my car has a highly reliable GPS navigation system with a decent user interface. I see no need for a smart phone.

I wouldn’t have a cell phone at all if my wife didn’t insist that I need one for emergencies. In that light, I find this Light Phone interesting–I love e-ink displays–but it’s still 4 times the cost of a flip phone.

2 Likes

I’m pretty damn happy with my smartphone.

1 Like

What I miss most about the flip phone is the form factor. I hate holding a big flat thing to my ear for phone calls, it never feels comfortable. Flip phones were much more like a traditional phone.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.