The lousy lives of lice

When I and my entire family of long, thick, curly, redheads got lice (I’m a teacher,) we had good luck putting olive oil on the hair at bedtime, getting up early to nit comb with the oil still in so it was easier to comb, shampoo but no water, vinegar rinse, second round of nit combing, then off to school. I’d do everyone else one per day, my husband would do my hair the last day, we’d wait a day or two, then do it all again, while washing and vacuuming etc. the whole house. The worst! I told everyone that next time every one but me was getting their head shaved and they could all take turns combing my hair. We still have garbage bags of stuffed animals we haven’t ever unpacked, and that was ten years ago or more.

4 Likes

If anyone needs me I’ll just be over here consecrating plenty of promethium and warming up my flamethrower.

1 Like

When you say “resistant,” does that mean a little bit of permethrin won’t get rid of them anymore?

1 Like

Not for about 10 years now.

That’s a scary thought. Good thing I don’t have any hair these days.

1 Like

Lucky you. At my childrens school it’s a returning nuisance. On average a bit less then twice a year.

By the way it has nothing to do with being in a poor neighborhood. Lice don’t discriminate. Everywhere kids put their heads together they spread like wildfire, you only need one outside source, or one parent who is a bit less zealous in exterminating them. I’m myself allergic to the toxic shampoos, so it our household it’s combing combing combing combing. Every morning and evening when there’s an epidemic raging, and once a week in between just to catch em early. Luckily the official recommendations here scratched all the washing and vacuuming of beds and toys. The theory is that lice can’t really survive for more than 48 hours without a human and you need to comb for 2 weeks straight anyway, so you might as well skip all the hassle of extra washing.

Even reading about it here (though I like to movies of the small critters) causes me to scratch my head furiously.

2 Likes

You know what makes your head itchy without fail? Thinking about lice.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.