‘The Marvels’ bombs with worst MCU opening yet

What I really didn’t get was all the hate for that show’s CGI. It was perfectly decent considering that it was for a flippin’ TV show, not some blockbuster with a $400M production budget. I still remember the days of Lou Ferrigno in green body paint with the same transformation scene recycled in every episode.

21 Likes

It doesn’t help that prices everywhere have gone up enough that my wife and I always think twice before impulsively going to the movies. Additionally I am wary of tightly packed public places since news regarding new and dangerous variants of COVID trails significantly behind your chance of contracting it.

2 Likes

pundits and spin doctors selling you the “news”

you read one article about how bad a marvel movie is then another about the same movie saying it was liked by critics but not well received by the public, then another about critics hated it but the public loved it… it’s all hyperbole to me.

i do think there is a lot of toxic masculinity in the superhero (and star wars) fan base that doesn’t care for female roles which is unfortunate and undermines said movies’ success.

11 Likes

If you are wary of crowded theatres, this is the film for you! There were 10 people in the audience when I went yesterday. Mind you, that was an afternoon show on a Sunday, but I suspect you’ll be able to find plenty of space for the next wee, at least.

4 Likes

that’s great news. i’ve been looking forward to seeing it, and honestly didn’t even realize it was out until yesterday. ( bad marketing department, bad. )

the only two marvel tv shows ive watched twice are the netflix daredevil, and ms marvel. it was a delight, and vellani was so funny.

6 Likes

It’s been this way for decades, literally. We stopped going places like AMC when it was 35 minutes of ads, not counting trailers before Return of the King.

1 Like

all I can say is; there is a payoff.

6 Likes

Loki must be a movie and Antman should be a tv series.

2 Likes

So the movie released with little promotion due to the actor’s strike, involving a bunch of characters introduced in TV shows most of the movie audience hasn’t seen, isn’t doing that well? Shocker. It’s like they set it up for failure. Although they kind of did, and this is true of the female characters in general - the only movie that introduced a female superhero was Captain Marvel, and all the other have been via the shows. (Except Black Widow who got introduced in someone else’s movie. That Black Widow only got a solo movie after they killed off the character and she didn’t matter to the universe and couldn’t have any sequels is sure symbolic.) They aren’t giving the female characters equal chances to shine, and doing a follow-up to Captain Marvel that’s a team-up with unknown characters cuts the legs out from under that franchise, too.

But this really is the Hollywood way, with a long tradition - do a (rare) female-led movie that’s been sabotaged in various ways, then when it doesn’t do well, declare that no one wants to see that sort of movie (and ignore all the movies that did do well).

10 Likes

My screening featured a living embodiment of Comic Book Guy from ‘The Simpsons’, draped in a tie-dye hoodie and sporting, I kid you not, a reporter’s notebook. This self-anointed guardian of the cinema waged verbal skirmishes with teenagers and even summoned the manager (twice!) to get them removed. The male Karen!

Meanwhile, my 11-year-old, influenced no doubt by YouTube’s prepubescent mansplainers, shot me an eye-roll at the end, groveling that Captain Marvel and Rambeau are kind of “full of themselves”. Oh to be that age and think you have opinions. Of course, he was too cool to admit how much he loves Miss Marvel (he watched the show numerous times, I didn’t push him though). Iman Vellani is great and, honestly, one of the best actors Marvel has.

Which is certainly more than what Black Panther II had going for it. A two and a half hour snoozefest, with every line of dialogue starting with “when your brother died”. Are we supposed to believe audiences got their $859.2 million’s worth on that one?

1 Like

I’d suggest shutting that shit down now, while you can. You’re (along with your spouse) still the primary adult in your kid’s life, and you still have more influence than these right wing radicalizers - who are pushing especially boys into a dangerous territory. Push back hard on what they’re watching and encourage them to think more deeply about what are in those videos, maybe. Offer them alternatives to these scum, as there are much better things out there than that for them to learn from.

ETA: FD Signifier talks about this on his recent video about Youtuber sneako…

And Swolesome also did a video on Sneako…

10 Likes

Shame because it is a really good movie

3 Likes

Wakanda Forever was a way better movie than I was expecting, with one of the best villains Marvel’s ever had. I didn’t even notice the runtime, honestly. That said, I fully expect The Marvels to be even better, despite the criminal lack of promotion for it. I won’t be going to a theater, though. That era has passed.

1 Like

Compared to what? Are there not enough horror movies? Not enough rom-coms? Mysteries? Not enough cop movies? There seems to be a lot of those, but I’ve never heard anyone say that we really need to have less horror/Western/scifi/cop-who-doesn’t-play-by-the-rules movies.

3 Likes

During their heyday Hollywood churned out an unbelievable number of Westerns because they were cheap to produce and the market couldn’t get enough of them. About 2700 of them just between 1930 and 1954. But most of them weren’t great, and demand absolutely dropped off significantly.

images

4 Likes

a glorious purpose payoff even :wink:

4 Likes

hear, hear. Loki gives me hope for the MCU, if they can realize that they can take big chances like this and produce brilliant, fun stuff that’s not so formulaic.

4 Likes

They make about as many or more Westerns now than they make superhero movies.
https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/genre/Western#tab=year

1 Like

I get confused which one that was. I recently watched Across the Spiderverse and I think I will have to rewatch. It was very enjoyable, on different levels. It’s decidedly not what I expected from a Marvel film. It did not give me the feeling that the “age” of the superhero movie was over, but it gave me the sense that it had possibly found out how much closer to a comic book you can get in a movie.

Spiderman Pointing GIF by Regal

1 Like

The Spiderverse movies have consistently been amazing, i knew i was going to love it but it’s so good.

2 Likes