The Metamodernism of Hanzi Freinacht

Originally published at: The Metamodernism of Hanzi Freinacht | Boing Boing

1 Like

At least this doesn’t sound like a massive pile of woo with no concrete ideas.

15 Likes

Zoom back camera!

9 Likes

Some of the language here is ringing familiar alarm bells.

So it’s looking for a different position, between two “extremes”.

It’s not just me, right? There are some very nasty implications radiating off of this.

30 Likes

Like… Illiberal democracy bells?

Cause I for sure hear a little ringading up on the
old Alpenfestung.

16 Likes

Yeah, this is some Grade A hero-worship Centrist bullshit.

16 Likes

I’ve barely started “The Dawn of Everything”, but I have to admit that I find its focus on indigenous social patterns as inspiration a bit more attractive than “Nordic Ideology”.

Also:

The king’s road to a good future society is personal development and psychological growth.

If you presented that idea to me in, say, 1969, when I was 18, my reaction would (even then) have been “no shit”.

But maybe I shouldn’t dismiss these books on just this brief exposure. After all, I am a bit of a sincerely ironic pragmatic romantic myself.

8 Likes

This Hanzi character they came up with strikes me as almost a parody of the kind of pseudo-intellectual and privilege-blind white guy who perceives very real problems in the world and reacts to them by becoming a bothsidesist edgelord with logorrhea and an inflated self-regard.

We’ve seen where that kind of world-saving populist approach leads, and it ain’t the “king’s road to a good future society”. That despite its incorporation of trite requirements like personal development and psychological growth on the part of individuals who, like “Hanzi” and his creators, now enjoy the luxury of not worrying about fulfilling their needs on lower tiers of Maslow’s pyramid.

The whole “metamodernist” construction also seems grounded in the assumptions of Whig history, where the story is one of constant progress and improvement. That’s not how things actually work. We backslide, and progress (per Gibson) is not equally distributed.

It’s not just you. In this “Listening Society” promulgating a “Nordic Ideology”, I get the strong sense that only certain people will be listened to and derive its benefits.

21 Likes

I mean, does any book called Nordic Ideology ever turn out to not be about Nazis? Or at least adopted by them?

18 Likes

Usually people who say things like that turn out to be the naziest nazis who ever nazied.

16 Likes

Off-putting to those he bullies, amusing and engaging to those who enjoy seeing others bullied.

Having tried to work my way though all that verbiage, I want to say “explain it to me like I’m five”. Because if we are trying to create a fair, compassionate society, five-year-olds are really good at grasping the concept.

18 Likes

It definitely isn’t.

15 Likes

Well, Art is Art, isn’t it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

8 Likes

A white European man has spent time isolating himself from the lives and experiences of other humans and now has decscended from a ski resort town to tell us all how to live and what buzzwords to use. That’s the “best” take I can get from it.

14 Likes
10 Likes

So it is downhill all the way?

12 Likes

His style is certainly quirky and unconventional: he can easily sound arrogant and obnoxious. His confrontational attitude can be off-putting to some, endlessly amusing and engaging to others. Here’s what Hanzi wants, in his own words:

Now, I want to reveal you your ignorance. I understand that this may be a harsh slap to your pretty little face—not at all a nice thing to do. But Hanzi Freinacht is not nice. He is right. And that is something else entirely.

——-

Stopped reading after this. Arrogant, pompous asshole can fuck right off.

Are we sure he’s not Brother Theodore’s reincarnation?

18 Likes

That was the exact point I realised I wasn’t going to listen to any more of that Nazi-adjacent bullshit.

13 Likes

But he’s a brilliant Übermensch, and we have to cut brilliant Übermenschen some slack, and then some more. For all we know, he knows how to build a Mars rocket.

16 Likes

17 Likes