The MIT Media Lab Disobedience Award: $250K for "disobedience for the benefit of society"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/16/no-strings-attached.html

6 Likes

"disobedience for the benefit of society"

60 years and counting!

9 Likes

…what? (9)

4 Likes

What? What?

4 Likes

principles of nonviolent disobedience

Oh shit! I didn’t see that. 9 out of 10 times is a good track record, for me…

5 Likes

Of course, disobeying the principles only increases your chance for the award.

4 Likes

(non violently, of course)

6 Likes

What’s the story with Bunnie Huang?

Dear Reader,

No Starch Press and I have decided to release this free ebook version of Hacking the Xbox in honor of Aaron Swartz. As you read this book, I hope that you’ll be reminded of how important freedom is to the hacking community and that you’ll be inclined to support the causes that Aaron believed in.

I agreed to release this book for free in part because Aaron’s treatment by MIT is not unfamiliar to me. In this book, you will find the story of when I was an MIT graduate student, extracting security keys from the original Microsoft Xbox. You’ll also read about the crushing disappointment of receiving a letter from MIT legal repudiating any association with my work, effectively leaving me on my own to face Microsoft.

8 Likes

… with a coconut? (Yes, there is a video with that- Not linking it because it’s not entirely work safe, and well, at work and whatnot. :slight_smile: )

“Be disobedient!”

"No!"

Would downloading JSTOR academic articles qualify?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.