The most common job in every state

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/08/the-most-common-job-in-every-s.html

4 Likes

I see “slave” was omitted for the obvious reasons.

1 Like

Explains so much…

8 Likes

The article says:

The prominence of truck drivers is partly due to the way the government categorizes jobs. It lumps together all truck drivers and delivery people, creating a very large category. Other jobs are split more finely; for example, primary school teachers and secondary school teachers are in separate categories.

I doubt there are more truck drivers than other professions if you categorize jobs the way normal people would.

9 Likes

Please, there is no such thing as “customer service” in Arizona, everyone knows this.

17 Likes

I’m really surprised it’s not Starbucks Barista.

7 Likes

What does that mean?

1 Like

How’s the broth in Hawaii?

9 Likes

Interesting to see the jobs destroyed by automation and outsourcing almost literally evaporating on the map. Also, interesting: nothing much taking their place. We’re constantly told that when the old, obsolete jobs are destroyed, new, better jobs will take their place, but it does’t seem to be happening for much of the US.

4 Likes

They even admit they omitted managers and sales people from the list because those categories were “too broad”.

14 Likes

I was only 7 when being a “carpenters” overtook “secretary” in Maine in '88. Their retribution was brutal when they took back the title in '89, but 88, what a year.

16 Likes

They will never automate the job of “software developer,” because computers faint at the sight of ones and zeros. Even a curly bracket gives them the heebie-jeebies.

13 Likes

When I worked in customer service for the trucking industry (not in Arizona, ironically) I talked to two different truck drivers who were former anthropology professors. Both told me driving a truck paid better. And I know a librarian who quit to go into trucking.

Like the do-dah man.

8 Likes

Best evidence that computer intelligence has surpassed that of humans, right here.

5 Likes

Just wait until software developers eliminate both customer service and trucking as categories.

Then it’s back to primary school for all of us…

4 Likes

Accurate, but it still stings.

/looks down at belly

14 Likes

you’re a double-broad sales manager?

4 Likes

No. I’m just broad enough that I can use my belly button as a suction cup for my can of beer. I tried using it for other peoples’ beer, but they got really mad.

11 Likes

I think the data has been skewed badly here…are they really saying that there are more drivers than burger flippers, cashiers, loaders etc?
That’s clearly not right.

They’re probably only counting full-time jobs, not 29-hours-a-week-to-keep-the-healthcare-away jobs.

9 Likes