The most important tech of the last 22 years

A local Radio Shack gave me a case of CueCats. I used them to scan linear barcodes. I gave them away to people that wanted to read linear barcodes. I did the one-wire hack to un-encrypt the outgoing data. I still have one or two of these laying around. A couple of them were used as parts-donors for various projects.

CueCats functionality lasted longer than all my various Palm Pilots combined. You can still read barcodes on books and food, but modern phones can read many more barcodes these days.

1 Like

In fact, I think hacking the :cuecat was my first foray into hacking/making/technological subversion.

I kludged together a java program to process ISBNs to create a database of all my books and I think scrape their price off amazon forā€¦insurance documentation (ok, not too subversive). It saved hours, made use of my two semesters of compsci and taught me how to parse HTML. Later I extended it to VHS tapes(!) and eventually DVDs.

WikiP says the investors of the :cuecat lost $185M, but I certainly gained from it.

2 Likes

CueCat! The company that made them was here in Dallas. I had a friend who did some work for them, and I got a whole box of them at one time. They just plugged into the ps2 port, with a pass-thru for your keyboard. When I made my first book database, I wrote a script to parse out their input, so I could scan the barcodes. Though, they didnā€™t great, so I gave up after scanning in a few dozen barcodes.

1 Like

Agreed. I dislike apple, but whether or not I personally like their products, many of them have been undisputedly influential to consumer tech trends. The newton and macbook air are NOT among them.

As Mosberg admits, the newton was a total failure at the time and canā€™t even be credited as a direct inspiration for anything that came soon after.

There has been a niche market for thin/light ultraportable laptops for nearly as long as there have been laptops. The air may have been the thinnest/lightest at the time, but there is a new thinnest/lightest every year. I maintain that if any other company had produced that exact laptop with those exact specs at that exact price, it would have sold just as poorly as every ultraportable that came before it. The only reason it did well was because it had a glowing apple on the back.

1 Like

CueCat! I collected three or four of those things! People had written programs so you could use the scanner with regular bar codes.

Donā€™t even go there. I still want the retractable fingernails that Gibson promised us.

4 Likes

25+ years later, I still want embedded mirrorshades.

Though it would make dealing with my contacts a bit difficult.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a good one too. I was thinking more of hardware, since that seemed like Waltā€™s primary focus.

For me, cellular networking should be in the top ten.

I donā€™t see why a specific model of laptop should be there, though light and cheap computers are important too.

1 Like

But how will you cry?

1 Like

I think we all know which item should be on the top of that list.
http://www.theonion.com/video/in-the-know-do-you-remember-life-before-the-segway,14133/

2 Likes

The CueCat really was a brilliant idea - you could scan codes from ads in magazines, if you happened to be reading the magazine while sitting in front of your desktop PC. For me, that happened ā€¦ almost never, except occasionally if it was a computer magazine with an article about some programming tool.

But yes, I agree with the person who said the cellphone was far more radical than most of these (and Iā€™ll rate the iPhone as far more influential than the MacBook Air.)

I almost bought one of their decommissioned scooters ~10 years ago. Man did they offer a nice service. Too bad they were all dot-com dumb about it.

Thatā€™s fair, 3Dfx did come in early, and hard, on the ā€˜3d you can actually affordā€™ (My Voodoo3-3000 did me good service for quite some time); but I was thinking of OpenGL because 3Dfxā€™s ā€œGlideā€ went absolutely nowhere (aside from ensuring some wrapper-related headaches for retro gaming enthusiasts), even starting to lose its luster in the later days of the company, and totally irrelevant by the time they went under. OpenGL, by contrast, started as the domain of crazy-expensive, not-particularly-influential (in the mass market; because a decently loaded SGI easily cost more than a car); but the technology is still wildly influential now that SGI is little more than a husk.

1 Like

I was really fond of my MP2000 and I still havenā€™t forgiven Apple for cancelling it.

I actually regret not getting a :CueCat to play around with when I had the chance; I was amused by the companyā€™s assertion that they retained ownership over the devices, which struck me as being similar to Ovaltine trying to assert copyright on any message encoded by the secret decoder rings that they used to give away.

Have you tried RTFA? First two sentences, emphasis mine:

This is my last column for The Wall Street Journal, after 22 years of reviewing consumer technology products here. So I thought Iā€™d talk about the dozen personal-technology products I reviewed that were most influential over the past two decades.

SSL and SQL arenā€™t on there for the same reason that The Matrix and Mint Milanos arenā€™t on there.

Off the top of my head, it used a platter drive when most competitors were still using flash memory, which at the time meant you were lucky to fit four albums at once.

Never got a Cuecat. But didnā€™t it go beyond just scanning crap in papers & magazines? I remember the ads showing people watching TV with it plugged into their PC and taking the web browser to online sites when a tone was played during a newscast or sporting event. It was the days of dial-up. Didnā€™t someone figure out that no one was going to tie up their home phone line for hours while they watched TV or read the paper?