The MSG Sphere in Las Vegas looks spectacular

Originally published at: The MSG Sphere in Las Vegas looks spectacular | Boing Boing

3 Likes

It is pretty amazing. I wonder how the Dolan family will manage to ruin it.

7 Likes

What an amazing exterior for a U2 concert.

6 Likes

I was just there 2 weeks ago right before they turned it on for the first time. It really is incredible to see in real life and the animations they’ve already created for it are unreal.

Here’s 10 minutes of the Sphere in action

7 Likes

That’s nothing - wait until you see the MTG sphere…

5 Likes

That’d be a pretty big, obvious target…

12 Likes

There’s another one coming to East London - the locals aren’t happy:

London’s MSG Sphere concert venue comes one step closer to reality | London | The Guardian

2 Likes

THE MONOSODIUM GLUTIMATE SPHERE HAS ARRIVED!

But… my question is- CAN YOU SEE IT FROM SPACE? No space visibility, no care.

9 Likes

It is a pretty neat looking thing. I was just looking at some other city in Asia. I am not even sure where it was, but it had a lot of colored lights and was “pretty” to look at at night. I don’t think I have seen a city in the US try to do that, other than a handful of buildings. Nothing coordinated for a whole area.

Vegas is the one exception, where they do seem to be putting on a spectacle , and honestly, that is cool looking and very futuristic feeling.

2 Likes

I would not want to be an AV professional working there. The display maintenance requirements must be extreme and high pressure.

However, content creation would be interesting.

Not its purpose, but it would be extraordinary to create a narrative motion picture for such a display where your perception of the story depended on where you moved during the run relative to the building (a la Sleep No More).

6 Likes

This is gonna piss off some flat Earth folks

9 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. That would be a great job, to just dream up cool stuff.

3 Likes

Jesus, that is the Vegasest shit I’ve ever seen.

11 Likes

It’s a performance venue. Most theaters and concert halls don’t have windows (except maybe in the lobby areas).

7 Likes
8 Likes

reminds me of this…

1 Like

MSG Sphere? Oh, so if it was in Europe, it would be the E621 Sphere?

(Some people who visit these comments are probably now preparing to do a spit take or sitting on their hands or similar.)

2 Likes

Nice snowglobe.

4 Likes

A quick google search about the inside…

“Inside Sphere sits the reported highest-quality wraparound LED screen in the world. There are also 160,000 speakers designed to give everyone in attendance the same quality of sound.”
and
“a sports and concert venue that seats nearly 18,000 people .”
Wow! Sounds like the inside is spectacular too.

1 Like

I’m curious as to how many kilowatts it takes to illuminate this thing. It must take a massive amount of electricity, especially during the day.

3 Likes