The mystery of the missing post

Does anyone know how a post can just dissapear? I have had posts hidden due to community flags and I get notified of this event. I have had a hidden post removed by a moderator with a corresponding notification. In this case it was hidden, I was notified, I clicked on the link to go see why it was hidden but the link takes me to someone else’s post that was just after mine. There is no message about it’s removal in my inbox or where the post use to be. It’s almost as if the database had a record deleted without using the app admin layer. Trying to understand if this is normal or a bug. Thanks

Not all actions taken on posts result in notifications.

There is an open discussion on meta.discourse.org about that:

Feel free to discuss the issue with the developers there if you wish. The conditions under which notifications are and are not sent for a given set of moderator actions is, unfortunately, not clear in many cases currently.

4 Likes

Thanks. For the link and quick reply.

I see now, the effect is rather jarring but at least its not a bug. I would preffer some feedback from moderators as to why a particular post is deleted to better understand this community I have joined. Is there a way to contact the mod that deletes a post to request feedback?

There is a general moderation topic to request that sort of thing, or you can PM @ moderators directly as well.

This is not a large group of people, and they are overtaxed (the BBS has 20,000 active members and very many daily posts). The likely response is going to be that either a post violated the community guidelines or responded to a post that was removed. However, as noted in the guidelines:

• We have the right to delete an account or content at any time for any reason. Remember to export your data right after making dodgy comments.
  • Enforcement may be lax or draconian as befits the whims of the Entity. The rude will be eaten first.

The moderation team is a collective of folks interested in the wellbeing of the BBS and mostly volunteer their time to the effort. We are not automatons and are not consistent in our interpretations of the guidelines (which themselves, are vague). These facts are a feature, not a bug.

This is not the forum for someone who’s intent is to rules-lawyer every mod action (I’m frankly not sure what forum that would be, frankly) But we do try and make an effort to be transparent and explain situations where the reason for an action may be unclear when we can, and instead let the sum body of our collective actions speak on our behalf where possible instead.

3 Likes

Thanks, I already figured out that it dissapeared because it responded to a removed post. Was just trying to understand the landscape, not litigate it.

2 Likes

Wikipedia?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.