The naked hypocrisy of Game Of Thrones’ nudity

All of this is true. None of it in any way addresses the point I was making.

There are several people in this thread trying to claim, in effect, that there’s somehow “not really” more female nudity, because shots of women with no clothes below the waist somehow don’t show genitalia, not like “real genitals” (i.e. penises). You are one of these people.

This viewpoint is idiotic.

A woman wearing no clothes is nude.

She doesn’t have to actually spread her legs and hold her vagina open for it to “really” count.

She would still get arrested for nudity, in jurisdictions where nudity is illegal. How many such jurisdictions there are is of absolutely no relevance whatsoever, nor are your country’s - or any country’s - weirdly specific legal sexual hangups. We’re not talking about US law.

We’re trying to define “nude” in Game of Thrones.

And your definition, effectively, attempts to defend GoT by claiming that if a man and a woman are both wearing no clothes, only one of them is nude. This is so silly a defence, I don’t know what else to say after pointing that out.

There may well be a good defence of GoT’s eye-candy sexism. Yours wasn’t it.

8 Likes

Your comment is even weirder than the passage I criticized. Now go ahead and post another essay.

Maybe you’re unfamiliar with the weird people I mentioned. Or the weirdness about people wanting to criticize a thing in order to make it better. Or maybe you find essays weird? Or is reading comprehension weird?
Perhaps you’d like to explain the weirdness implicit in criticism, but you don’t have to address it to me because I’m weird.

Exactly, it would be very distracting.

You want to see Olenna naked? You are into some kinky stuff JonS. But that’s fine I’m not judging.

Is there something odd about that?

4 Likes

Actually, those haven’t happened in several reasons seasons. The actress (so the rumors go) put her foot down during contract renewals and refused any nude scenes (or they could replace her…ha ha ha) and won.

Update: fixed my own typo.

Not lately maybe, but she spent a good chunk of the first season getting into or out of hot tubs. Mostly when there weren’t other men around, so the “she’s being objectified for the patriarchal society she lives in” explanation doesn’t work.

(Edit: wait, did you mean “seasons?”)

1 Like

Weirder, but not dumber.

This is so totally an ad hominem. If it was an argument. But it’s not an argument, so… whatevs.

I’m not going to apologize – I think you made a dumb comment. But I’ve seen you around, you’re not a troll. So, there’s that.

Go back to 4chan, troll.

I meant seasons. I need MOAR coffee.

1 Like

Again sorry to disillusion you, but they are not based on real events. While GRRM says he got a general idea for a situation from the English War of Roses, the situation in the novel could hardly be further from the way things played out in that war. The swordplay, armour and clothing are not in the least authentic, in fact in many cases are fairly absurd from a realistic point of view.

It may please you to think it is authentically realised, but that does not make it so.

1 Like

Are you sure you understand what ‘based on’ means, and that ‘based on’ is synonymous with ‘general idea’? I’m reasonably confident that there is a first class thesis or three comparing GoT-world with the real world waiting to be written.

Before you start puffing your cheeks out in righteous indignation, let me first remind you of this

Emphasis yours.

1 Like

I thought ‘reasons’ was quite charming and apt in the context :smiley:

Thank you. That’s a much more efficient expression of what I was getting at.

A cell phone is outside the constructed world’s internal technological framework. A blade which could be honed to shaving sharpness, is not. And did you notice that the OP doesn’t seem to be at all bothered by the fact that the women on the show have shaved legs and armpits? He assumes he knows what the grooming rituals are in this fictional world. But, then again, dragons.

1 Like

Dragon based grooming rituals sound a bit risky.

1 Like

They look very much like human beings who do not figure prominently in the plot.

1 Like

My g’ma made me a sock monkey and for many years I thought I had the only one.

3 Likes

She assumes.