Meet HBO's sex scene coach

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/06/meet-hbos-sex-scene-coach.html

3 Likes

I was hoping they would talk about needing to plan out scenes that last long enough for a third character to read off a wall of exposition in a Game of Thrones scene.

That writeup makes it sound so mechanical and boner killing though. “No, you’re just mashing her boob with your palm, you need to grope it more.” I guess the need to have every move pre-approved in the contract phase kills any hope of making it more natural though.

3 Likes

It was an actual fake penis

too much time was wasted (that is 30-40 seconds) considering if a ‘fake actual penis’ would amount to a distinct concept.

4 Likes

In 50 plus years of watching movies / etc. I have never seen anything close to an actual convincing real life sex scene, ever. So say I.

6 Likes

TFA says it was a fake boner, so that checks out.

1 Like

I think that’s the idea though. Actual boners would be uncomfortable for actors to have to work with.

4 Likes

Well what was your conclusion?

IMHO actual fake penis is a strap on or boner cover. Fake actual penis is some kind of surgery where they make your dick bigger by injecting silicone or something.

1 Like

These actors are adults right? It just sounds so middle school when stated like that. Oh no, I got a boner, the shame is too much to continue acting!

I concur, and assert that it ought to be written down at a subsequent international committee on penile adjectives (or ICPA). Next up: are adjectives to genitalia Hermitian or merely commutative?

1 Like

No, actually.

I’m referring to the other person in the scene who likely wants nothing to with the other person’s boners- they are just doing a scene.

Edit: Redundant word

9 Likes
9 Likes

Ok, maybe my Dear Wife and I have done that, but it was good clean fun, as I remember…

6 Likes

Socially or professionally?

2 Likes

tenor-2

3 Likes

3 Likes

The whole idea of intimacy direction is that you’re creating a scene with actors for an intended effect for the audience. Actors do not need a scene to feel sexy or “natural” in order to do that. In fact, the false idea of using actors’ own sexual urges, experiences, and inclinations tends to make it less likely that you’re watching that character as opposed to the actor and a lot more likely that people will be sexually assaulted on set.

If the end cut is bad it’s because the direction or the actors were bad, not because acting or being directed is bad.

8 Likes

Yep. Not nearly enough farting in TV/ movie sex scenes.

10 Likes

That’s just a start, ya know…

3 Likes

Did she work on Team America? Asking for a friend.

Farting is so… pass-ay.

6 Likes