The Navy List

While I was sailing on HMB Endeavour, we spent one evening watching this film projected onto one of the sails.

It’s a first person account of sailing around Cape Horn on a windjammer in 1929.

4 Likes

awesome! thanks for sharing that clip! I love stories like this!

In other news: my 19ft Bayliner, the Mighty Meh, roared its 180 horses once again this morning after a complete rewiring and all new instrumentation and navionics installed! w00t!
look out fish. I am back!

5 Likes

Apparently the weather in Sydney today is such that it’s making the harbour ferries a bit more exciting than usual. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

That must be the ferry coming from Manley island. Even on a nice day you can get a bit of chop there (nothing like this of course)

5 Likes

I admire the skill and ambition involved with taking on such a project, but even if you set aside the occasional submarine-based murder those things scare the heck out of me. If you’re doing this for pure recreation (as opposed to, say, finding sunken treasure or drug smuggling) it seems like you’re taking a huge risk for not much benefit. Unlike those bulbous research submersibles that are covered with thrusters, this shape of sub isn’t especially maneuverable so you’re not going to be getting close-up views of cool reefs or other submerged features. Best you can hope for is an interesting fish swimming by a porthole. So what’s the advantage over a much safer semi-submersible or glass-bottomed boat? You can still dress it up as a submarine like the ones at Disneyland. I’d love one of those if it had the classic Captain Nemo’s quarters with the big round aperture windows and the pipe organ.

6 Likes

How about re-creating Hyman Rickover’s hobby project ?

Might as well name it the Hunley II.

But the link led me to this, and I’m still chuckling.

1 Like

Tarka has finally returned from hiatus:

I took Karel (the 70ish hippy neighbour) out to see the seals:

It was something of a milestone for her; the last time she was on the water, her yacht was rolled and dismasted in the Southern Ocean. If they hadn’t been rescued by a Russian freighter, she’d have been dead.

She’s full of cool stories; her grandfather was a Japanese man who spent WWII fighting under the command of De Gaulle.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.