The new and laughably bad Twitter Blue logo

Halloween Chefs Kiss GIF by giphystudios2021

9 Likes

I cheated and did it on my phone with this

Still looks better than King Rat’s effort.

15 Likes

I think about the “Café 80s” bit from Back to the Future II (logic being that since kitschy 50s-themed diners were all the rage in the 80s it would make sense that a kitschy 80s-themed diner would be a common thing in the 2010s).

I guess if people could find so much to get nostalgic for from the Cold War era they’ll find some way to romanticize the 2020s too.

7 Likes

Ooooh, this website is FANTASTIC. Filing away for future reference…

5 Likes

Hey, thanks, 1000! I’m stealing “recovering graphic designer” to replace “recently retired graphic designer.”

I’m pleased that so many of you see the problems with this logo. I got a new client when the guy proudly showed me a $300 logo that looked like it belonged on an 80s race car. The problem: it’s a software company. 80% of the employees cringed at that logo; I guess the owner is one of those non-visual people. I designed a better one.

tl;dr We could blame the approval chain (which, as everyone says, is probably very broken).

7 Likes

…wait for it.

2 Likes

HE did not send anyone to space, he just bought a company. It was the engineers and rocket scientists and the decades of work by others around the world prior to him buying Space X (or Space X even existing) that sent people to space.

We really need to let go of this idea that “great men” are the only actors, and in fact the determinate factor in events like space travel, that take hundreds, if not thousands of human beings working together to pull off… they are often the least important factor, other than parading around in the glory of the hard work of others…

23 Likes

Huh. I was saying recently to a colleague (completely different subject): “Every time an actual visual designer takes the task away from an engineer, an angel gets its wings.” We’re both engineers, and we both know our limits.

6 Likes

Elon? Is that you?

3 Likes

I definitely think so. It was baby steps as a culture into questioning gender norms and it certainly meant something to a few young trans people like myself who were dealing with this when there wasn’t even a word for it, never mind a support system. Any little hint that it was okay to question this stuff was like water in the desert.

I really loved that 80s culture. It felt like the future, and like progress. We were getting computers in everything and music was becoming electronic and things like CDs were straight out of science fiction. It felt like the beginning of a new world. The grungy ‘90s backlash to all that was kind of a shock to my little 80s pop system. I remember feeling like everyone gave up on the dream. :joy:

12 Likes

I guess that’s how the Flower Children felt about the advent of the 70s.

6 Likes

Thanks Thank You GIF by BLKBOK

The other version of this that drives me nuts is when people walk away from a bad car accident and thank God for it. “God must still have a plan for me” or whatever. Fuck no. You walked away from that because an army of smart, educated, hardworking engineers designed that car you crashed to make almost anything survivable. Crumple zones, unibody safety shells, explosive belt tensioners, door bars, air bags, hell, even the grade 8 bolts holding your seat in place. Every mm of a modern car is engineered by a human being specifically to keep you alive. Furthermore, all that engineering work was done because government regulations required the companies to do it. So engineers and government saved your life. But sure, give Magic Sky Friend the credit. :roll_eyes:

17 Likes

2hvdz7

9 Likes

Somebody in design is channeling memories of their youth, trying to watch a fuzzy split-screen of that blocked channel on cable.

4 Likes

It’s like someone was scouring r/outrun or r/vaporwaveart for ideas.

2 Likes

The older I get the more I realize that society is better both because of, and in spite of the 80s. Between AIDS, crack, Reagan, Bush, Thatcher, deregulation, rampant consumerism, poverty, trickle down economics, US backed coups across the globe, brinkmanship with the Soviets, and destruction of the welfare state we should have all been doomed.

Yet, somehow we got some amazing pop culture that’s just now being more widely recognized for its brilliance and importance. There was also unparalleled technical innovation that laid the groundwork for the next several decades.

It’s ironic in some ways how pop culture of the 1980s did so much to start to finally break down so many barriers around non-heteronormative sexuality while at the same time those on the Right did everything they could to try to demonize these things as being responsible for AIDS (at least, once they finally stopped ignoring it outright as something that only affected certain groups they didn’t care about).

I don’t know that history will look back as kindly on the past decade.

10 Likes

Such good times it’s been, eh?

Trump Loser GIF

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.