Slack's new logo is a penis swastika

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/16/slacks-new-logo-is-a-playdoh.html

9 Likes

It’s not a German swastika.

3 Likes

Huh. I did Nazi that.

27 Likes

Literally the second sentence of the post.

27 Likes

Also it is actually not as nice as the old one I think.

ETA not just a swastika but one made of dicks…

And now I can’t unsee it.

26 Likes

“Slack Heil!”

Or maybe they’re just trying to innocently be the chat program of the GOP? Oh, wait, they already are: https://gop.slack.com leads to a mogop.org address, which belongs to the Missouri GOP.

1 Like

For those interested, the left vs right orientation distinction predates Nazism

13 Likes

But what happened to the ‘Play-Doh?’

ETA:

Never mind.

5 Likes

My god he’s right. I have to… update the post.

20 Likes

I saw the … well, I won’t call it “the light”, but you know.

10 Likes

Far, far worse than changing the logo, they changed the autogenerated user avatars inside the app.

I’ve been using this thing for years, and even though the avatars were all pretty similar, I did eventually get to know individual icons for various friends & coworkers. Now that little mnemonic is completely broken.

Now they’re even more similar - at least a quick perusal shows that they’re almost all identical for the people on my team.

7 Likes

Ironically, the auto-generated “gravatar” icons found in many online services were the O.G. 21st century generative swastikas.

6 Likes

Meanwhile in the BB shop…

More amused that was the ad that showed up next to the article than anything, not sure if that was intensional

17 Likes

LvTgapOW_400x400

5 Likes

So does the use of the swastika in Aruyanism/Racist Nutbaggery.

The first time the swastika was used with an “Aryan” meaning was on 25 December 1907, when the self-named Order of the New Templars, a secret society founded by Lanz von Liebenfels, hoisted at Werfenstein Castle [de] (Austria) a yellow flag with a swastika and four fleurs-de-lys.[151]"

Like wise I’m pretty sure the whole “the Nazi Swastika bends to the right” thing is a myth. While official Nazi Party materials, and German state symbols tended to be right handed. The right bending one was just the most common format of the design. In religious and decorative use, well before the Nazis got to it. And said Racist Nutbags occasionally used the left handed sort too.

So a swastika is a swastika. People need to stop trying to “fix” it.

2 Likes

Warp and weft patterns are swastikas now?

That said the logo does look like a sandwich of cartoon dildos.

10 Likes

You have to be looking pretty hard to see a swastika in that.

16 Likes

Also true? The Nazi Party was a political party made of dicks.

35 Likes

How come that looks like Justin Long and the kid from the 6th Sense as an adult?

10 Likes

I hope the graphic designer wasn’t paid only in exposure…

7 Likes