The new "Cosmos" is getting great reviews

I suspected it might be. I’d have thought that was daft if I’d seen that too, then. I think as a kid I’d find it patronizing.

I should probably note that I don’t have much patience for anything that gets in the way of the information. I happily read A Brief History of Time but gave up on The Universe in a Nutshell because of all the stupid info boxes that meant I had to keep flipping backwards and forwards between pages.

I did quite like Cosmos though. I’ll watch more.

Shouldn’t be too hard, just look to see if it leans left or right.

1 Like

Can somebody post a link to the original spaceship of the imagination, from an external view?

the “ship of the imagination” metaphor begins about 6m25s if you’re impatient

2 Likes

Thanks jerwin!

You know, thinking about it, I wonder if Sagan was lambasted by the self-described scientific-atheist dogmatists when he said things like “we are a way for the universe to know itself,” which sure seems like he’s imbuing the universe with a deeper meaning than such folks are typically comfortable. And I always got this sense from Sagan, that he was not afraid to find a level of spiritual awe and mystery with the realities that science and cosmology present. He was active mostly before my time, so I don’t have a great frame of reference, other than to know he was widely popular in culture as scientists go.

I really should read Contact. I liked the film, and I heard the book was better.

‘Spirit’ comes from the Latin word ‘to breathe’. What we breathe is air, which is certainly matter, however thin. Despite usage to the contrary, there is no necessary implication in the word ‘spiritual’ that we are talking of anything other than matter (including the matter of which the brain is made), or anything outside the realm of science. On occasion, I will feel free to use the word. Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. So are our emotions in the presence of great art or music or literature, or of acts of exemplary selfless courage such as those of Mohandas Gandhi or Martin Luther King Jr. The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both.

–Carl Sagan The Demon Haunted World

2 Likes

Love it. thanks. :slight_smile: Definitely need to get on top of reading some Sagan.

1 Like

The descriptions of the building of the machine were much more vivid. Loved the book.

I loved it. I’m speaking from the perspective of someone who watched it with an 8 year old boy. NDT did great. The pacing was great. Slow enough to build and allow things to sink in. But it didn’t get too slow. The spaceship contrivance I could take or leave. I liked the orchestral music.

I also liked the animated section. I thought it was a nice, artistic touch and certainly no more cheesy than second rate actors re-enacting history. And kids will like it. And with animation you can add creative elements that just wouldn’t work in live action. For example, the part where Bruno lifts the curtain of the “old” universe to soar (metaphorically) into the vast cosmos. That was flippin’ awesome and I don’t think it could have been done that magically without animation. The animation could have been edited down a little. I would have cut some of the dialogue in the animated sequence.

I just don’t understand why this needed to be made.

Since the first Cosmos aired:
–The definition of our solar system has changed (Pluto joined a list of newly categorized dwarf planets)
–The human genome was mapped
–Water has been discovered on Mars
–More than 1,000 extrasolar planets confirmed
–Evidence of Dark Energy is being actively sought to explain the properties of spacetime
–The Hubble telescope has found the furthest object in the observable universe
–The existence of black holes was confirmed
–We’re entering the age of quantum computing
–The theory of multiple universes has emerged
–Higgs Boson was discovered

Simply put, our view of the universe is no longer the same as it was in 1980.

And all of this happened during a growing period of public distrust of science–or at least, a loss of understanding. Today we have an entire civilization dependent on advancing technologies, and most people are unable to comprehend the basic principles that make their cell phones work.

There has literally never been a greater need for something like Cosmos than this moment in history.

Sagan especially, knew the neccessity of educating the public and making it accessible to everyone. I sincerely doubt he would have been okay with getting by on outdated re-broadcasts.

If by “riding on Sagan’s coattails” you mean, continuing the good professor’s legacy in the spirit in which he intended–championing an infectious passion for science–then I’d say Dr. DeGrasse Tyson is doing an excellent job of honoring his teacher’s original mission. Even his widow, author Ann Druyan, is credited as a writer and executive producer for the show.

None of this was done as means of “profiting off his good name.” If anything, it ensures Sagan’s legacy will continue to inspire for at least another generation.

4 Likes

Don’t forget black holes.

Or white holes.

1 Like

White holes are a purely theoretical construct. Black Holes, on the other hand…
since 1980
There’s the general consensus that Cygnus X1 is a black hole
There’s supermassive black holes, active galaxies…
There’s all the Hawking stuff. The multiverse. The universe as a projection.

Yeah, that.

1 Like

Seventh bullet. :wink:

I kind of just feel sorry for those who didn’t enjoy it and feel the need to feel superior and trash the episode (and/or the entire series they haven’t even seen yet). It’s obviously for a general audience (as it should be), but I think the spirit of it should touch even top scientists for its entertainment value and the knowledge that its gravity is without a doubt pulling more kids and young adults back into the fascination of science.

Just now watched it, loved it and the end was very emotional and inspirational for us.

It didn’t just serve to educate, it also served to tickle aesthetic senses (if one is blessed to be able to enjoy such things). It was more about connecting science with the heart (if you have one of those things) and the joy of taking a beautiful, big picture view of our existence.

We found it to be very much in the spirit of the original series and I’m sure Carl Sagan would be very proud. We’re excited to watch the rest of the series.

Who is we? Are there more than one Cowicide? Have I been duped into thinking there is only one dude as the cow? Dude looks like a lady? Please enlighten.

1 Like

Just one Cow. As far as who watched Cosmos, it was my GF and our squirrel Stubby (well, not really, but Stubby was there in spirit). I guess about 8 years ago and especially much longer there was more who used the Cowicide moniker for other nefarious stuff, but someone passed away and others mooved on to other projects and some of us went into retirement (after becoming seasoned felons). Now it’s just innocent, little old me.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.