The new Nexus phones: beautiful, secure, and a shot across the bow

[Read the post]

1 Like

I think I may have to stump up for the 6P.

I like my 5, but the 5X is just a little meh. So’s the 5, but after a couple of years I fancy something a bit nicer looking.

I wish they’d used the 6P design to make the 5X instead of the cheap plastic because I really don’t want a phablet, but for the 32GB sizes you just get a lot more phone for the extra $70.

I guess I’m just shallow.

Did you ever get that Jolla tablet, @Doctorow?

Only the Nexus 6 was ‘high priced’, the nexus 4 and 5 were priced similarly (or slightly less than) the Nexus 5x, and as I understand it, the Nexus 6p is playing in about the same ballpark as the Nexus 6, price wise.

When I bought my Nexus 4 (still going strong) it was only $300.

6 Likes

Not true, actually. For the specs, the Nexus 5 was pretty much the best bang for the buck. It was really just with the 6 that they went to a pricing model more comparable to similarly specced competition.

Edit: dammit, novium beat me to it. Typing on my phone sucks.

5 Likes

If that was the strategy, the decision to drop all hardware expansibility (no SD card slot in the Nexus my kids gave me, for example) was a pretty big fail. Seriously bad decision.

6 Likes

Yeah, I stopped reading the article when I read “they were high-priced phones.”

The only thing I could figure was that Cory meant to write “low-priced phones that generally sold for about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of other flagship phones” but somehow it was just a really weird typo.

2 Likes

Yeah, as I was reading that all I could think was, “wasn’t the 5 about $100 cheaper than the 5X?”

Not that the 5X doesn’t look like it’s worth the price increase, but I’m still pretty sure there was an increase.

(edit: ok, I misremembered. The 32G 5x is $30 more expensive than the 32G 5 was. Granted, they’re currently doing a special where you get a $50 Google Play credit if you pre-order one, but that shouldn’t really count for comparison purposes.)

The 5 was $30 cheaper than the 5X is, I think? $349 vs $379?

3 Likes

Right on the dot… I had to go refresh my own memory on that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And which phone is that?

Overpriced is easily confused with ‘unsubsidized.’ The important point really is to buy an unlocked phone that’s not tied to a carrier which comes with a price tag of buying the phone up front, not buried in your monthly phone bill. The other thing is to avoid manufacturer’s crapware (looking at YOU Samsung). I have a Moto X unlocked and it’s pretty close in both regards.

6 Likes

The author and I share both the enjoyment of the Nexus Android platform and the fear of Google’s panopticon-like reach into my data, and by proxy, my life:

And that brings us back to one of Android’s core missions: feeding the giant global Google brain. Again depending on how you view Google’s power, this is a varying combination of astonishing, creepy and downright dangerous. Like many people who think about what Google does, I lean toward astonishing today, and dangerous tomorrow. If nothing else, the Nexus phones are part of the brain-feed.

Although as it’s a monstrous multinational corporation, it’s more likely to be part of the banality of evil group, rather than an actively targeting and malicious company (which is practically six here, half-dozen there).

Which was the first and foremost reason I started with the Nexus line in the first place and I have yet to be let down in that regard.

5 Likes

When Apple did this, Cory was all like, “How dare Apple put up a walled garden and take away user’s rights to refuse updates!?!”

When Google does it, he’s all like, “Finally.”

Either way, it’s nice to see Google taking steps to address the wildly inconsistent aspects of their approach to mobile security.

4 Likes

I’m always shocked when people have storage problems with their phones, and the whole argument that a 16GB phone doesn’t make sense. To me, it makes more sense now than it ever has. I get all my music streamed through Google Play, and my photos back up to Google Photos, but there are cloud alternatives for all of these things if you hate Google (but also use Android…). What else is taking up space?

If you don’t want to stream music, I guess, but if it’s photos, isn’t it worth saving the premium and just backing your photos up to a server more often?

The 5 was low-priced, but I don’t think they’ve been low priced like the 5 was. I think it was really an outlier in the Nexus program.

1 Like

A Lenovo K3 Note. I actually love the phone (though I’m a tinkerer), but I just reinstalled a different Android rom the other day so I haven’t restored it back to the state that I prefer. Which also means I’m using the stock keyboard from this ROM, still, which is horrifically bad.

That’s the key for most people I know that use expandable storage. My wife, for example, travels about 60 minutes each way on her commute to work. Streaming for 120 minutes a day would be… Quite painful for the 3GB data cap she has on her plan at the moment. Yes, she could cache certain albums, etc, but with a 64gb microSD card in her phone, she never has to. Everything is just there.

5 Likes

Naw, I don’t have a storage problem (and actually, it’s a Nexus tablet, not a phone).

I do have a problem with a computing device that only has wireless connectivity. I mean, the thing doesn’t even support USB OTG out of the box. How’s that even remotely hacker-friendly?

And the many thousands of people who suffered from bit-rot on the internal storage were screwed, whereas people with the same problem on other devices just put in an SD card.

1 Like

The Nexus One and Nexus S were both sold essentially before you could buy
an unlocked phone in the US, and were cheaper than other options available.
The Galaxy Nexus was significantly cheaper than other high end phones of
that era. The Nexus 4 was MUCH cheaper, selling for less than half the
price of similar phones. The N5 continued this trend.

The only expensive Nexus phone is the Nexus 6, and it still costs about the
same as a comparable Samsung phone.

4 Likes

We (my wife and I) have one of each (Nexus 5X & Nexus 6P) on the way and will be using Google’s Project Fi as our MVNO.

Comments here will be closed by the time they arrive, so cannot offer any opinions, but we are very much sold on the phones and the service.

3 Likes

Reading the specs on the new phones closer, I can’t really see anything about the 5x that isn’t the same or a downgrade from the 5, other than the processor.

The new model doesn’t have wireless charging and has a different charge cable so you’ll need to buy 20 adapters, so major fail (like do-not-buy). The screen, RAM, flash, form factor, and radios are all about the same, except it’s bigger which isn’t a plus.

So basically they’ll sell you a phone that isn’t as good for more. The only real plus is they dropped the price on the 6.